CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

qesue

12th March 2017, 09:04
All of your comments have assisted me in linking the 6 three letter words - thanks. However I am still struggling - are these the ones that have to be highlighted and is the "link" word the 7th? I had thought we had to find another 6 using the additional words from some of the clues but can't get any further. For instance what do we do with extra words in 14 Mesdames, Grumpy and Happy? Any help gratefully received.
11 of 42  -   Report This Post

muraria

12th March 2017, 09:25
Hi qesue, I know what you mean but I think those are the six words. In 14A I took Grumpy and Happy as examples of Misters.
12 of 42  -   Report This Post

nelson

12th March 2017, 11:59
Mr Happy and Mr Grumpy are characters in the Mister Men series of books.
13 of 42  -   Report This Post

kirky

12th March 2017, 15:08
Completely stuck in the top half, help please for these which hopefully will get me going again...

1a Leaving for Listener Gateshead, laid-back Glaswegian goes on vehicle underwater (6) (anything to do with the Listener Dinner in Gateshead this weekend?)

6a They signal the end for One Across: top magazine's last issue (6)
????P?
14 of 42  -   Report This Post

cockie

12th March 2017, 15:35
No. kinky - the Listener in the title is nothing to do with the dinner, but I guess that this puzzle appeared this weekend deliberately. Nimrod is the IQ editor. IA and 6A are special lights, but that won't become apparent until you've solved them (not giving too much away, I hope).

The def in 1A is the last word. In 6A it's the first 4 words, and there's a bit of &lit going on too.

I have now spent far too long on getting the 7th word, hag even been reduced to trying homophones (as possibly suggested by the gimmick). Do the words "to facilitate such activity" get me anywhere? No. I need a real hint please!
15 of 42  -   Report This Post

malone

12th March 2017, 15:49
Cockle, isn't the seventh item just the three-letter word that describes all the others?
16 of 42  -   Report This Post

kirky

12th March 2017, 15:51
Thanks cockie ...sorted those 2 now.
17 of 42  -   Report This Post

cockie

12th March 2017, 16:24
Malone, I'm sure you are right; it's just that I can't see it - probably for looking too hard. The only 3-letter "word" I can see which describes the others is TLA (3 letter acronym) but that's not a word. The words are in a column in the centre, but that doesn't help. They are not part of a word ladder converting XZY (as it were) in the top row to XYZ at the bottom. If I ever get there I am sure to be disappointed, but despite your help I still don't get it.
18 of 42  -   Report This Post

kirky

12th March 2017, 16:57
Are we looking for "bug"?
19 of 42  -   Report This Post

kirky

12th March 2017, 16:59
Ah no... I think we just write BUG under the grid?
20 of 42  -   Report This Post