CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mamya

18th February 2017, 15:37
Guardian Prize

The first five correct entries drawn each week win
Guardian Style and Can You Solve My Problems,
worth £34.99

I never send it in either.
11 of 21  -   Report This Post

spartacus

18th February 2017, 16:11
I accidentally posted this as a new thread. Peterm, As someone who struggles to complete two thirds of the crossword I am grateful for all the help I can get. It's my birthday today so I look on your hints as a present. Thanks
12 of 21  -   Report This Post

peterm

18th February 2017, 16:42
Pleased to have been of help, spartacus. Happy birthday, and enjoy your day.
13 of 21  -   Report This Post

david w

18th February 2017, 16:49
Congratulations to those who have finished. I haven't! I'd appreciate any further hints for, say
1A Remove clothing to loud music (7)
5A Play about with complete collection (7)
30A Report of Treasury for Halfwits is libel (7)

(I'm not giving the crossers as these may not correspond to the ostensible solutions.)
14 of 21  -   Report This Post

kirky

18th February 2017, 17:10
5a is a themed ans ....anagram of play with 3 letter alphabetical inside
1a as above ....the 3 letters are at the beg and the rest is loud music
30a can't think of a hint ....if you have ?S?E?S? try chambers word wizard or similar to find what you need for required defn
15 of 21  -   Report This Post

roof

18th February 2017, 17:21
I do send it in and have won twice. The first time, some 30 plus years ago I got a £10 book voucher, which was worth something then. Four years ago I got two books, one of which was Guardian Style, which I enjoy dipping into. The second one was dull. They changed it to Secrets of the Setters, which I hoped to win. I see it's changed again now so I might save the postage. I wish The Guardian would tell us how many entries they get.
On both occasions when I won, I did finish all by myself. The latter occasion was an Auracaria alphabetical. I won't send in one for which I have had some help.
Now back to the crossword, which I'm finding hard this week. I'm blaming it on my Dublin cold. Perhaps some lemsip will help?
16 of 21  -   Report This Post

david w

18th February 2017, 17:37
Thank you Kirky. Finished now. (I was misled by the instruction being 9 25 30 when what is wanted is 25 9 30.)
17 of 21  -   Report This Post

ohcelt

18th February 2017, 19:33
I recommend a generous ration of hot lemon, honey, and whiskey toddy. It might not improve your chances of solving the puzzle, but if it is big enough you won't care, and it will do wonders for the cold :-)
18 of 21  -   Report This Post

roof

18th February 2017, 21:04
Thanks OHCelt
I might just try that. I think I've finished but there are as ever a number I'm not sure of and I'm one special solution short. But I think I've had enough now. I'll make my toddy.
19 of 21  -   Report This Post

ffannie

19th February 2017, 08:47
Jafo

I've just tuned in and saw your mysterioius initials:

The OP asked for hints

I'm intrigued by OP. What does that signify?

By the way you can always get answers at The AnswerBank site.

Thanks to Pterm for your excellent hints.
20 of 21  -   Report This Post