CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

deslyxic

2nd February 2017, 21:49
Malone, thanks for the confirmation. I'm in awe of the ingenuity that goes into these complexed barred puzzles. The grid-fill and clueing require skill enough, but the hidden messages and patterns, and substituting words that still make sense... incredible.

Kirky, thanks for the prize info.
11 of 13  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd February 2017, 22:14
Deslyxic, have you tried the Inquisitor, another themed crossword? It used to be in the Independent (on a Saturday) and is now in the 'i' (on a Saturday). It's often tough, but it's usually ingenious. I don't always finish it, but I always enjoy the struggle. Last Saturday's was terrific - a bit of a challenge, but great fun and, ultimately, very rewarding.

The 'i' costs only 60 pence, so maybe worth a try?
12 of 13  -   Report This Post

deslyxic

2nd February 2017, 23:16
Will try it some time - maybe not this weekend because there's an Azed competition puzzle coming up that might be a time-consumer - thanks for the recommendation. I think that's the only barred one I haven't done now, having finished a Listener puzzle a few weeks ago (the relatively easy Bohemian Rhapsody one, admittedly!).
I think the i is missing a trick by continuing to print old Independent crosswords, especially as The Inquisitor move seems to have been a success. Why not print the ones that are currently online on The Independent's site? It wouldn't cost that much more in setters' fees, and I think it would definitely boost sales. (The fact that the Saturday i puzzle has a DAB radio as a prize, yet the answers can easily be found by googling a clue that will lead you to an old blog at fifteensquared.net with all the answers is ridiculous.) I don't 'alf go on, don't I? :-D

13 of 13  -   Report This Post