CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

deslyxic

8th January 2017, 02:32
Spoilers! I was just about to do that one.

Just kidding - I agree it was ace. It's not often you see a theme in The Times - that's usually Guardian/Indy territory.
11 of 18  -   Report This Post

royce

8th January 2017, 03:39
Casebook as in Casebook of Sherlock Holmes by Dr Watson!
12 of 18  -   Report This Post

setanta1

8th January 2017, 12:17
Brendan, I think the answer to 25A " Frenchman who wrote etc,' was Jean Genet not Jean Jeanie.I failed to see any David Bowie inspired clues. All the best, Setanta1.
13 of 18  -   Report This Post

trebornotlaw

8th January 2017, 13:17
That's a poor clue. We're not all Sherlock Holmes fans.
14 of 18  -   Report This Post

deslyxic

8th January 2017, 17:46
Setanta1, "Jean Genet" is a deliberate pun on Jean Genie - in fact Bowie actually named the song as a pun on Jean Genet. The most obvious Bowie reference was the album title at 1a. There was another (indirect) album title at 21 & 23a and a song reference at 9a. Best of all was the positioning of the first four letters of 6a exactly above the first four letters of the second word in 10a - look it up for yourself!
15 of 18  -   Report This Post

setanta1

8th January 2017, 21:59
I'll accept what you say. Life Mars and Diamond Canines! He was pushing the indulgence a bit.
16 of 18  -   Report This Post

deslyxic

9th January 2017, 00:21
Well, the concealed letters of LIFE in Lifer were immediately on top of those of MARS in Marsh, so it was Life on Mars... just a bit of fun, and obviously a ghost theme that wouldn't have affected anyone who didn't spot it.
17 of 18  -   Report This Post

deslyxic

10th January 2017, 03:13
PS You may be interested in today's (10 Jan) Guardian and FT puzzles set by Philistine and Goliath respectively (actually pseudonyms of the same setter). But perhaps you may not. ;-)
18 of 18  -   Report This Post