CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

29th December 2016, 03:29
Welcome to our weekly competition to compose a cryptic clue to be judged by your fellow contestants.

You may enter as many clues as you wish this week and everyone is welcome. Please explain your clue if you think it necessary as good ones can be overlooked!

Entrants should vote for their favourite clue. Please include the post number but please refrain from commenting on entries until voting has begun.

Clues should be posted by 1 pm (GMT) on Friday, December 30th when voting opens. Voting closes at 10.00 pm that evening.

The entry with the most votes wins and its composer sets next week's competition.

The setter has the deciding vote in the event of a tie and may change the rules if necessary.

The setter will declare the winner and award an online prize.

This week's answer to be clued is:

MARRY UP (5,2)

I was surprised to see that the expression isn't to be found in Chambers, but I assume it isn't an Americanism. I also see that hypergamy is there but hypogamy isn't.

Have fun and good luck!
1 of 79  -   Report This Post

dorrien

29th December 2016, 04:11
Double duty for Aristo this week. Well done!

Agree to join the King(5,2)
2 of 79  -   Report This Post

dorrien

29th December 2016, 04:22
Oops Aristo. Is this clueless or PeerReview?
To regulars it may not matter but others should be aware.
3 of 79  -   Report This Post

mattrom

29th December 2016, 04:23
Couple happy after girl takes Romeo to heart (5,2)
4 of 79  -   Report This Post

dorrien

29th December 2016, 04:25
Disrefard post @3
5 of 79  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

29th December 2016, 05:07
It may very well be an Americanism. It certainly can mean simply to join, but also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergamy
6 of 79  -   Report This Post

mattrom

29th December 2016, 06:28
Splice a better knot? (5,2)
7 of 79  -   Report This Post

rosalind

29th December 2016, 08:10
I've always understood "marry up" can mean matching in general. For example, on sewing curtains, you would (or I would, anyway) marry up the pattern on the seams. Or playing a card game, marry up the suits.
8 of 79  -   Report This Post

rosalind

29th December 2016, 08:29
To snare a king, a cat may purr naughtily (5,2)

("A cat may look at a king")
9 of 79  -   Report This Post

skyewalker

29th December 2016, 09:50
Make an honest woman of Miss Piggy, maybe, but, after loss of pet, she takes in cockney geezer (5,2)
10 of 79  -   Report This Post