CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rickye

28th November 2016, 08:39
Think of Endeavour! I got erase later
11 of 18  -   Report This Post

demeter

28th November 2016, 09:05
Thanks Rickye.

Got there in the end.
12 of 18  -   Report This Post

catkin

30th November 2016, 16:52
As a newbie I have found this site really helpful in learning how the Listener crossword works. But now I am really stuck. I have the grid mostly filled in but can't work out what to do next. Which squares do I "black in" and are these dots or dashes? I can't seem to get a "W" for the first letter no matter how I do it. What am I missing, folks? I hope you are all still checking the site even though you have probably all finished now.
13 of 18  -   Report This Post

meursault

30th November 2016, 17:31
HI Catkin. To progress with the next phase, really the whole instructions (the extra letters) are required. The instruction words have lengths 5,3,7,2,5,4,3,5,3,4. The first 6 words are an instruction as to what to black out and the last 3 words are an instruction as to what to erase.

Read the first instruction very literally. If it says "Black out letters in alpha beta" then every occurrence of the letters a,l,p,h,b,e,t should be blacked out.

Applying this instruction, and the second instruction, results in a grid which, when interpreted row by row, gives a coded representation of the message.
14 of 18  -   Report This Post

catkin

30th November 2016, 17:58
Thanks Meursault. I can see now which letters to black out and erase. having done that, I can't see how to decode the message. I keep thinking that I need to have a series of dots and dashes but I keep trying to make the first letter a W as mentioned in an earlier post. But my first word is "card****" and with c r and d blacked out this doesnt look like the code for W.
15 of 18  -   Report This Post

ginge

30th November 2016, 18:25
Hi catkin, the notes at the beginning of the below link should help.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code
16 of 18  -   Report This Post

rrrobbo

30th November 2016, 20:16
Catkin, the 5th letter of 1a needs blacking. The first c, then the rdc of 1a form the first bit of a W........that 'pattern' forms the basis of all the rest with lengthy letter gaps being 'spacers'
17 of 18  -   Report This Post

catkin

1st December 2016, 08:45
OMG! I have seen the light! Thank you to all.
18 of 18  -   Report This Post