CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

johnt

18th August 2016, 20:09
21a Welcome a beating, as masochists might do affectionately at the opening of parliament
?i?s ??? r?d
kiss the rod? If so, why?
16d How a male peer's task is completed quickly
I? a ???k?
in a shake? If so, why?
First clue, second letter of second word intersects with second clue, second letter of third word.
Any ideas out there?
11 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

18th August 2016, 20:15
21 Chambers dictionary defines Kiss The Rod as 'submit to punishment'. Masochists like punishment. The 'rod' in the clue is Black Rod, an official at the opening of Parliament.

16 In A Shake means very quickly. A male/man peeing might finish the task quickly, in a shake (ie with a shake).

Hope that helps.
12 of 14  -   Report This Post

johnt

18th August 2016, 20:29
Thanks, Malone
Whilst I was painstakingly composing my post another jumped in with the same question, so it was already answered. Your answer was comprehensive, scholarly and excellent and, as you see, I already had the answer but was a little unconvinced of it, so thanks
13 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

18th August 2016, 20:36
JohnT, glad I could help. I didn't parse Kiss The Rod first time round, but was beginning to wonder how much technical/anatomical detail was needed for In A Shake!
14 of 14  -   Report This Post