CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paul

10th June 2016, 04:38
Thank you Ros and Ginge!
31 of 73  -   Report This Post

mattrom

10th June 2016, 07:47
BBM2, could you parse your clue #12, please?
32 of 73  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

10th June 2016, 08:48
Hi mattrom

Trendy writer goes into detail after going topless living with Greek lady (9)

trendy - HIP
writer goes into detail PE(n)
goes into detail - instruction to "de-tail" (shorten)
after - position indicator
going topless - first letter deletion indicator
living - (e)XTANT

Oh dear I seem to have an extra "t" . Thanks for pointing this out, I'll get back to the drawing board.

Please note guys #12 is no longer valid !
33 of 73  -   Report This Post

ginge

10th June 2016, 09:16
@ aristo: (I appreciate you're hours behind UK time but hopefully you'll see this before voting starts) I'm never sure, crossword clueing wise, if it's OK using the present tense relating to one demised ? Your No 3 has shuts up rather than just shut up, is it intentional on your part as so many of his maxims for want of a better word "live" on?
34 of 73  -   Report This Post

mattrom

10th June 2016, 09:31
Thanks, BBM2, I couldn't figure it out.
35 of 73  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

10th June 2016, 10:59

Malcolm and Anthony have a joint before lesson with famous pot lady (9)

36 of 73  -   Report This Post

ab

10th June 2016, 11:07
Thank you Rosalind and Ginge and to Paul for the enquiry.
Spot on. Attic- Chambers -relating to ancient Athens, jade- Chambers- an ill-natured woman.
AB
37 of 73  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th June 2016, 13:14
ginge: I used the present tense to match "squeezes". I did consider using "could never shut up" because of its ambiguity (thinking that such an objection might be raised), but figured that we almost invariably speak of "immortals" in the present tense: Pascal is silent about this; Bach uses a familiar hymn tune as the cantus firmus, Jesus is succinct, Socrates never shuts up...
38 of 73  -   Report This Post

ginge

10th June 2016, 13:48
Hi aristo, thanks for getting back and I appreciate the tenses had to be consistent and assumed it was deliberate (just wanted confirmation) since "squeezed a" would also have also have worked as I see it. Point taken when it comes to "immortals".

I remember you recommending Holt's prose to me some time back and for anyone considering reading more based on the excerpt I found not only that particular work a great read but I've since read a couple more, good call.
39 of 73  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

10th June 2016, 14:01
A number of goodies. I really liked ginge's cow but am going with

mattrom @13
40 of 73  -   Report This Post