CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

28th April 2016, 10:27
Well done aristo, cheers dorrien.
I'd never heard of the RICO act, a new one for me, nice one aristo. On researching it I find that me and the RICO act are the same age!
61 of 70  -   Report This Post

ginge

28th April 2016, 11:15
Thanks for hosting dorrien, I enjoyed the clip. I no longer play as my temperament is not conducive ......
Nice clip as well aristo. I really liked the wordplay in your clue but I have reservations with kickback as a definition/synonym. Oughtn't it be kicking back which i appreciate would spoil the surface ?
62 of 70  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

28th April 2016, 12:04
Why Les, you're an infant. I had to register for the draft that year; I was a freshman in college.
Sorry about stealing from you, fiery.
I was treating it as a gerund, ginge- kickback as the process of ricocheting.
63 of 70  -   Report This Post

ginge

28th April 2016, 12:19
Cheers aristo, I did appreciate that and it's probably only me but it didn't/still doesn't strike me as being a natural form. Wasn't intended as a slight and congratulations.
64 of 70  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

28th April 2016, 12:38
Perhaps it's an American thing. I would say "if you do it this way there'll be ricocheting" or "there'll be kickback". I wouldn't use ricochet as a noun in that instance, and I would never say "there'll be kicking back"; it just doesn't work as a gerund. I would, however, say "there'll be a ricochet". Maybe I should stick with Swedish. :)
65 of 70  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

28th April 2016, 13:04
I do see what you mean ginge. I struggled with the def. being in the present tense - many of the options I had seemed to clue "ricochet" rather than "ricocheting". However I can see aristo's point about using the gerund nounal form (quite a handy device) albeit not seeming - as you say - a convincingly natural expression.

When in doubt use the substitution test :-

" I heard the bullet ricocheting down the alley"
" I heard the bullet kickback down the alley" ??

but aristo's example works for him :)

anyway back to the fencing job.

66 of 70  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

28th April 2016, 13:30
But in that example ricocheting isn't nounal.
67 of 70  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

28th April 2016, 13:45
Take "bullet" out in both.
68 of 70  -   Report This Post

mrw

28th April 2016, 16:06
Congrats Aristo. I too play a lot of golf but thankfully there is no water on my course. I have been hit with a golf ball and it isn't pleasant. Thanks for hosting Dorrien.
69 of 70  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

28th April 2016, 16:41
Consider me convinced aristo.
Fencing finished just in time for the snow forecast - no I haven't been on the piste...
70 of 70  -   Report This Post