CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

schorley

2nd December 2015, 22:26
I'm 90 % there with this delightful puzzle, but am a bit stuck on one of the Group C words.
I agree with meursault that 38A, 6D and 12D are Group C words, but I have 36 D as one of the "remaining" clues, and not a Group C one . Am I missing something? Gentle hints appreciated...
11 of 22  -   Report This Post

gem94

2nd December 2015, 22:52
36d is definitely Group C. The wordplay is the first 4 words, and that gives you the entry, but the "answer" is that followed by the same omission as the other three clues in the group. Unfortunately unless you have the correct edition of Chambers, Google or other dictionaries may only give a caterpillar as the meaning!
12 of 22  -   Report This Post

schorley

3rd December 2015, 00:07
Thank you gem94. I'm sure I have the correct entry for 36D ( not that impressive as there are no unchecked letters ) and it checks out with Chambers OK .

I simply turned a word meaning "expression of disapproval" upside down and removed a letter (which happily was the one I was hoping for) to give a suitable entry . I can see how it could be expanded into a Group C type answer, but then I would have expected the "omission" to be the other way around to be consistent with the treatment of the other three Group C words. Maybe that isn't strictly necessary?

Anyway, I only have three clues to solve now, so I hope it will all become obvious very soon. Cheers.
13 of 22  -   Report This Post

meursault

3rd December 2015, 08:33
Schorley, the wordplay, "expression of disapproval upset", doesn't need to have a letter removed. "Shabby type" is the definition. The answer, before treatment, appears in 2008 edition of Chambers as a variation of woubit, and does require 2 letters removed in line with other Group C answers.
14 of 22  -   Report This Post

schorley

4th December 2015, 00:31
Thanks meursault -- you got me back on track, and the whole puzzle is now completed. I owe you half a Brewers if I win !

I actually prefer doing the numerical Listeners, but I have really enjoyed trying the normal ones over recent weeks, and I think I will persevere with them . Thanks again for your help :-)
15 of 22  -   Report This Post

meursault

4th December 2015, 09:03
I'm glad it worked out, Schorley, though please don't think of dividing up any prize you might win ! Listener crossword puzzles are usually about the same standard as this, with just a few harder ones thrown in every now and then. But help is always available on this site.
16 of 22  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

6th December 2015, 20:28
Still trying to finish off last week's as was away for most of it. Struggling with top left corner. Are 9ac and 13ac uric and iced? if so I can't find anything that fits 2dn or 10dn, but if someone could confirm or tell me I'm wrong on 9 and 13 I'll have another crack at 2 and 10,

36d seems to be in but says 'see woubit', but woubit isn't in as far as I can see? Is this an error in Chambers, or am I being stupid?

Thanks
17 of 22  -   Report This Post

heisenberg

7th December 2015, 17:43
Those are the answers I have for 9ac and 13ac as well (I've finished the grid).

According to someone on the other site, "Without saying too much, the main entry for the answer to 36d is one of the grey words in 2011 Chambers omitted in 2014". I haven't checked my 2014 hard copy but I use the app anyway.

All done but for parsing 30ac. Where does the extra E come from?
18 of 22  -   Report This Post

ginge

7th December 2015, 17:56
A nut is another name for an en in printing.
19 of 22  -   Report This Post

heisenberg

7th December 2015, 18:04
Ace. Thanks!
20 of 22  -   Report This Post