CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

timbh23

14th November 2015, 21:39
Thanks Chrise. I did look at forum but could not find any reference to my query. That is why I posted my question.

As a newbie ( I joined about 35 minutes ago ) I appreciate the welcome!
11 of 18  -   Report This Post

timbh23

14th November 2015, 21:42
I didn't realise that each crossword had multiple threads
12 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th November 2015, 21:44
I must apologise for my impoliteness, Timbh23 - generally we are much more friendly here !

(Although if you look back you could fid=nd your query answered three or four times!)

Welcome, anyway :)
13 of 18  -   Report This Post

elle

14th November 2015, 21:50
Welcome, Timbh23!
Ideally, each crossword shouldn't have multiple threads - it is best to add your query to an existing thread, which will then be 'bumped' to the top of the page.
That w ay all the answers are kept together and easily seen by anyone searching for such.
14 of 18  -   Report This Post

jay

15th November 2015, 14:12
The first time I asked a question I was criticised for getting something wrong. Please, please could regulars realise that not everyone is young and understands those things so readily. I am 81 and felt very upset.

So could someone please explain - without shooting me down, what you all mean about multiple threads as I often spend ages looking to see if my clue has already been answered and I would love to find a shortcut.

Thank you everyone for past help.
15 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrise

15th November 2015, 14:17
Hi jay
You are quite right - I hope that Tim saw my apology.

At the weekend, posters with questions on in particular the Times crosswords tend to start a new thread rather than adding their question to a pre-existing one (and looking for the answer to their query on it!). Hence there are often lots of separate threads on the same crossowrd. One weekend I counted 16 separate threads; I'm sure that this isn't a record.
16 of 18  -   Report This Post

chrise

15th November 2015, 14:19
As for a shortcut, Ash has provided links (see top right of the page for me) for some of the more commonly referred to species of crosswords

Guardian Crossword Solutions
Times Crossword Solutions
Times Cryptic Crossword Solutions
Daily Mail Crossword Solutions
17 of 18  -   Report This Post

jay

15th November 2015, 14:22
Hi Chrise

Thank you so much! Now I understand what we should be doing.
It was the 'thread' bit I had not got hold of!

Best wishes
18 of 18  -   Report This Post