CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

23rd June 2015, 16:40
Hi djawhufc, rhetorical question ?
11 of 25  -   Report This Post

ab

23rd June 2015, 17:00
Thanks for these, Jolan. My rare spare Tuesdays will seem barren without your ingenuity.
Here is my stab at today's batch-
1. “To win only” is attached to the bill? (2,3,4)- ON THE NOSE? (A bet “to win only” is on the nose, as is something “attached to the bill”)

2. Picked out deep cider-pink rare flower of Russian origin (7)- DNIEPER? (Subtractive anagram “deep cider pink” without “picked” gives Dnieper – a “flower”, river, which has its source in Russia.)

3. Whacked an ace, splitting racket (4,2)- DONE IN? (One- ace in Din - racket, gives Done in – whacked in gangster terminology.)

4. No supplement to psalms pack found in church (4,3)- ALMS BOX? (Psalms without supplement – PS, and pack – Box gives Alms box, found in church)

5. Pry into chapters and records of Newton, say (6,5)- CLEVER CLOGS? (Pry – lever , into chapters- C and C, with records- logs, gives C lever C logs- someone like Newton, say.)
Thanks again,
AB
12 of 25  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

23rd June 2015, 17:00
Great clues as always- number 5 was fiendish. Took me as long to crack as the rest combined!
Here are my suggestions:
1. “To win only” is attached to the bill? (2,3,4). ON THE NOSE. On the nose means to bet only on the win in racing. Attached to the bill is a pun for the same phrase.

2. Picked out deep cider-pink rare flower of Russian origin (7) DNIEPER. Subtractive anagram of Deep Cider Pink minus picked. River or flower in Russia.

3. Whacked an ace, splitting racket (4,2) DONE IN. Whacked as in killed or done in. One=ace contained by Din.

4. No supplement to psalms pack found in church (4,3) ALMS BOX. No supplement or (PS) to Psalms gives you Alms + box (synonym for pack). Alms Box is found in church.

5. Pry into chapters and records of Newton, say (6,5) CLEVER CLOGS. Pry is synonym of lever. This is contained in 2 Cs or chapters + logs (records). Isaac Newton is a clever clogs as indeed are you Jolan for coming up with this corker!
13 of 25  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

23rd June 2015, 17:01
Sorry to say I have just the one from earlier:

2. DNIEPER (river rising in Russia) subtractive anagram: "deep cider-pink" minus "picked"

Very little time this afternoon but thank you as always jolan.

14 of 25  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd June 2015, 17:04
Thanks for those jolan. Just in from gardening and looked in before taking my well-earned shower.

I just had DNIEPER and DONE IN. I don't think that I would have got the others, even with more time.

One question - is the anagrind in #2 "rare"?
15 of 25  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

23rd June 2015, 17:13
I thought it was rare ChrisE
16 of 25  -   Report This Post

jolan

23rd June 2015, 17:23
Hi also to Jazzy, Ari, ginge, Daniel and ab. Full house with excellent parsing AB and Daniel. No point in me posting mine as it's just the same.

Chris. I wondered a bit about rare and then found it in Chambers Thesaurus as: rare = uncommon, unusual. It's also listed as an anagram indicator in Chambers Crossword Dictionary.

Thank you all for participating - I enjoy setting them.

Bless

John

PS. I wonder if many will leave this site should charging be introduced? (see Ash's thread)
17 of 25  -   Report This Post

jolan

23rd June 2015, 17:25
Oh! Yes it does Daniel. :-)
18 of 25  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

23rd June 2015, 17:42
I'll just keep trying...

I swear that Tuesdays are the worst. Perhaps it's Jolan who's the suspected spy!

Had all but #5. I had never heard of "clever clogs" till I started visiting this site. I do recall that you've used it before, so I should have gotten it. I still get stuck with some of the Britishisms; this one's NEVER used over here. We get back at you with things like goofy brand names in Harper's and the Wall Street Journal.
19 of 25  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd June 2015, 17:51
Thanks for confirming that, DJAWHUFC and jolan.
20 of 25  -   Report This Post