CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kirky

20th June 2015, 16:47
ah! yes - see what you mean. I am sure my grid is correct (probably wnet by the defns) but I have spotted the 1a in the wordplay of 27d. I suppose there will be 5 more if I search hard enough!
11 of 34  -   Report This Post

don

20th June 2015, 17:44
Can anyone enlighten me on the wordplay for 35d which I am assuming is DANZIG - is it one of the 6 thematic clues?

Thanks
12 of 34  -   Report This Post

ginge

20th June 2015, 18:02
Hi don, this is the one that I am awaiting confirmation on from a fellow solver who hasn't had a chance to start this puzzle yet. I'm relatively new to doing this puzzle so I'm not 100 % au fait with each setter's nuances but for what it's worth all I can come up with is: D (Deutch, German) + saying "antic" (frolicsome as an adjective) when one has a heavy cold. I could be way off beam.
13 of 34  -   Report This Post

ginge

20th June 2015, 18:04
PS It's not one of the thematic 6.
14 of 34  -   Report This Post

nelson

20th June 2015, 19:41
Danzig is how you would say dancing if you had a cold.
15 of 34  -   Report This Post

nelson

20th June 2015, 19:45
Danzig= German city in poland
16 of 34  -   Report This Post

ginge

20th June 2015, 20:01
Cheers nelson, I did appreciate Danzig = Gdansk but think the construction clumsy if that's the intention. Added to that, homophones, in general, I dislike and think most if not all are regional or dialect depending with or without the complication of being afflicted with a cold. No doubt you're correct with "dancing" but with a cold or not it wouldn't sound like Danzig where are I am.
17 of 34  -   Report This Post

nelson

20th June 2015, 20:20
Agree with you ginge.
But where I live, in GM, we would pronounce 'dancing' with short a sound. So 'danc' would rhyme with 'danz' if you know what I mean.
Anyway, my parsing could be completely wrong.
18 of 34  -   Report This Post

ginge

20th June 2015, 20:29
Hi again nelson, I think your parsing of what was intended is spot on and similarly the first syllable would be OK here but not the second hence my attempt to get something that woulf "sound" right to me. In any event we both recognised it was an "attempted" homophone but if this or any other setter looks in I hope they take my comments on board and cease using such a contentious device.
19 of 34  -   Report This Post

tomsdad

20th June 2015, 21:37
Am I alone in thinking that the clue to 14A would be more appropriate in the Private Eye crossword? I was surprised to see it in the hallowed ranks of IQ.
20 of 34  -   Report This Post