CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

14th June 2015, 17:13
You're welcome, begemot - and I can now thank Kobnut who helped me get on my way. Thanks, Kobnut!
41 of 50  -   Report This Post

tomsdad

14th June 2015, 17:19
Yes, I have got there now. Thanks Kobnut and Malone.
42 of 50  -   Report This Post

tomsdad

14th June 2015, 17:21
When I found the first three letters I realised what I was looking for and eventually managed to find them!
43 of 50  -   Report This Post

malone

14th June 2015, 17:26
Tomsdad, I'm glad you were successful too. I find it very hard to get the balance right with 'hints' - I never know if I'm giving away too much or too little.
44 of 50  -   Report This Post

tomsdad

14th June 2015, 17:38
I was initially confused because the misprints seemed to suggest that the results would be non-words. Once I started looking for real words it all fell into place (eventually).
45 of 50  -   Report This Post

ginge

17th June 2015, 09:41
Hi all aficionados,
I was late getting to this and I have a query which having now read the previous posts does not seem to have been raised or noticed so I am doubting myself. As it's late in the day I hope I'm not giving away anything untoward.

I only see 15 "misprints" and the 16th has to be a "t" occurring somewhere between 37a and 5d to make a sensible instruction. Herein lies my "problem"; the only candidate I see is 1d changing "allows" to "allots"? However " allows" is also a synonym of "assigns" and I wouldn't expect to be altering 1 synonym to another. [Chambers entry "allow", " vt; to permit, to assign .........."].

Would someone please advise if they felt the suggested "misprint" was necessarily in 1d or point out to me where it is and if the former, agree with me it's strange if not going as far as unsatisfactory !

Cheers.
46 of 50  -   Report This Post

scarlett

17th June 2015, 09:46
1d allows > alloTs
2d plane > planT
47 of 50  -   Report This Post

ginge

17th June 2015, 09:51
Yes scarlett that's what I had to assume, but please now comment whether you think it appropriate.
48 of 50  -   Report This Post

malone

17th June 2015, 11:27
I think you're right with the misprint being in 1 D and I think you're correct about the alteration just being from one synonym to another. I didn't notice this at the time -probably because I wouldn't immediately think of 'allows' = 'assigns'. It's a bit odd and a bit weak, really - but maybe the setter was constrained by everything else he/she was trying to fit in?
49 of 50  -   Report This Post

ginge

17th June 2015, 11:33
Cheers malone, it's always good to have confirmation. I appreciate the setter's constraints but I did find this "change" strange and was surprised when I reviewed this thread that it hadn't been mentioned. Thanks for taking the trouble to respond.
50 of 50  -   Report This Post