CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rusty

19th May 2015, 21:26
X,y, and z, are axes in maths, says Chamber's.
31 of 41  -   Report This Post

chrise

19th May 2015, 21:27
yes, rusty, stern
32 of 41  -   Report This Post

rusty

19th May 2015, 21:27
And Anne Bradford!
33 of 41  -   Report This Post

rusty

19th May 2015, 21:29
Sorry, AB, I didn't see your earlier post!
34 of 41  -   Report This Post

elle

19th May 2015, 21:33
Thank you
Goodness me....whatever made me think I could cope with this xword!!! (altho yesterday's was ok!)
Re 18A 'hold-up' - I didn't know those four definitions - where were they found? I looked in Chambers? and Bradfords?
And as for 27A - I've never heard the word 'Xyster'
I've read all your answers but I'm a tad confused!
35 of 41  -   Report This Post

rusty

19th May 2015, 21:41
Elle, I think AB explained hold up as good as you will find.
I did not do today's crossword, but now and again you get a real toughie to solve.
Looks like today's was one!
36 of 41  -   Report This Post

elle

19th May 2015, 21:48
Yes, Rusty, I think I've finally got there with both of the clues now, thanks to everyone's help.
Very difficult, though!
I don't usually do this crossword, but I'm buying a paper this week as my friend who sends the screen shots of the Quick Cryptic and theTimes2 one is away again on holiday, so I thought I 'd have a go! Managed yesterday's much more easily!
37 of 41  -   Report This Post

rusty

19th May 2015, 21:58
Elle, like everyone else on this forum you are on a learning curve. We all learn something doing crosswords. One of the first things that amazed me was that there was a cat called an ounce.
And a club called a priest.
Anyway, wee suggestion for you!
Tomorrow in The Times there is a qualifying puzzle for the National Crossword Championships.
See how you get on!
It is done against the clock, but I am far too slow to think about entering. It should be a good puzzle though!
38 of 41  -   Report This Post

elle

19th May 2015, 22:08
Rusty, I knew there was a cat called an ounce, but not that there was a club / mallet called a priest! As you say, one learns something new all the time!
I'm not at all sure about your suggestion that I have go at that particular xword tomorrow......... my abysmal efforts might so demoralise me that I cannot face attempting a cryptic xword again!!!!
39 of 41  -   Report This Post

rusty

19th May 2015, 22:20
Rubbish!
Don't compete against the clock.
Just have a go.
Plenty help on here if need be!
My youngest son is a very keen salmon fisher.
It was him who told me about a priest being the club to hit the salmon or trout on the head with.
All catch and release regards the salmon now.
40 of 41  -   Report This Post