CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sandorable

7th April 2015, 15:53
8A Ill humour is best on the radio (5)
-I-U- I think this may be PIQUE but can't see the 'radio' bit. I know pique and peak sound the same but why radio? Is there a type of radio called Peak or Pique? or is this really so simple that I am looking too deeply at it ?
1 of 40  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

7th April 2015, 15:56
on the radio =sounds like
often used in cryptic crosswords
2 of 40  -   Report This Post

sandorable

7th April 2015, 16:02
Great. Thanks for the tip. Could you help with parsing 10a Swimmer backing a 75% cut (4) which I think is ORCA but not certain.
3 of 40  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

7th April 2015, 16:07
yes 75% of crop (reversed) + a
4 of 40  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

7th April 2015, 16:07
a cro (p)
backing = reversed
5 of 40  -   Report This Post

raymond

7th April 2015, 22:08
Thanks Jazzie, I've guessed 10a but couldn't parse it.! How about a tip for 3d please..? I have
? I ? I ? I ?....Stumped again..! No further problems this week, but none too happy with 5d.
Lovely weather, hope it lasts..:) R.
6 of 40  -   Report This Post

scorpiojo

7th April 2015, 22:18
A girl's name around set fire to + 1
7 of 40  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th April 2015, 07:55
Good Morning Raymond
I puzzled over the parsing of 5d for some time until it dawned on me that the word can also mean the "going out" or unsteady flickering of a candle, as well as domestic "pipes". Not too happy with the description pipes, more troughs i would say
8 of 40  -   Report This Post

raymond

8th April 2015, 11:59
AH..! Thanks again Jazzie..NOW I see the connection. Was very confused over the 'pipes' clue,,,too obscure for me I'm afraid.! :( R
9 of 40  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th April 2015, 17:24
Two I need explaining as well.
17d Theologian was on a slope circling, but lost control (7)

I have a theologian inside another word, to mean "lost control" overall, but I don't see why my other word is "on a slope"

19d One may ultimately make harmony (5)

I have a word meaning "make harmony", but I need the "make" for one of the letters - double-duty? I don't think the def. can just be "harmony", as my word is a verb, while harmony is a noun.
10 of 40  -   Report This Post