CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

xwordfan

4th April 2015, 14:34
Ii have a full grid , sorted out the acrosses with their initial letters involving 2 grid entries. Found the book in question and roughly know I possibly need to do some coding/decoding ?? The problem is I can't quite sort out the extras from the downs and hence am missing the last 6 letters unless they are NEAR SW - I can't really parse 36d or 37d even though I think I have the correct answers for them.
Any help anyone?
1 of 49  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

4th April 2015, 14:41
note = MESE; word separations TMESE(s), T extra

easy = ETHE, + OR, O extra, ETHER = medium

last 6 read "NE to SW"
2 of 49  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

4th April 2015, 14:42
thanks kilgore - i'll have another try now
3 of 49  -   Report This Post

piano

4th April 2015, 15:19
I'm having difficulty with the instruction:

Decoding gives: CPREILU
Encoding gives: TDEOLIAEZDIYE

The key I'm using is FIRST NAME (4 Letters) followed by LAST NAME (6 letters) in a sequence of 10 letters.

Is this right?

If so - how to make sense of the 20 letters produced above, from my first decoding and then encoding?
4 of 49  -   Report This Post

piano

4th April 2015, 15:22
Sorry - ignore previous post.

I've realised what I was doing wrong and have solved it now.
5 of 49  -   Report This Post

demeter

4th April 2015, 15:52
piano,

I've got a full grid, and the key, but I don't understand how to decode/encode.

Can you give me a hint?

Thanks.
6 of 49  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

4th April 2015, 15:56
You need to decode the letters in the aforementioned diagonal using the carroll cipher with the author's full name as the key code.
you will get another title of one of his books if I've done it correctly
You may need this:
http://alangarner.atspace.org/table.html
7 of 49  -   Report This Post

demeter

4th April 2015, 16:15
Ah yes. Thanks.
8 of 49  -   Report This Post

barretter

5th April 2015, 16:37
I've finished this but I'm a bit puzzled by 44 across. If 32 down is solved correctly before the production of the 13 letter title then 44 across is not a word and it only becomes the word which satisfies its definition after the conversion which produces the 13 letter title. Is this right? I'm also struggling to find the words which should be substituted into 15ac and 20ac to complete the "key" information. Probably just being lazy about this!
9 of 49  -   Report This Post

barretter

5th April 2015, 16:47
Ah just found the word from 38 that transfers into 15. And presumably it's the first word of 40ac that transfers to 20, but that does'n make sense to me.
10 of 49  -   Report This Post