CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

3rd April 2015, 21:30
Hi all you supposed crossword aficionados, I'll ask you to take a step back and consider why you enjoy "solving" such puzzles and from posts I've seen from some of you criticising the setters of main stream publications when a clue generates controversy (which undoubtedly I'm going to do here, so what); I suggest you apply the same criticism/ criteria when judging here. The 2 clues attracting the majority of votes have (in my opinion) question marks;
syzygy's: why is well endowed huge,? as rambler uses, correctly (again in my opinion) hung, regardless of size implies male.
mattrom's: the inclusion of "the result of" is unnecessary and perhaps wrong as "balanced diet" is a direct synonym.
Sorry, not really, but it's been pissing me off for quite some time and yes I have the choice of not participating but regardless of who "wins", cheers ixion.
43 of 68  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

3rd April 2015, 21:36
I think you're being excessively critical about mattrom's clue. Seems perfectly OK to me, even if I am a bit pernickety with certain professional setters, that's true.
44 of 68  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd April 2015, 21:43
Hi ginge
Why does syzygys clue imply "huge"?
45 of 68  -   Report This Post

ginge

3rd April 2015, 21:45
Apologies, chrise et al, bloody predictatext, hung.
46 of 68  -   Report This Post

mattrom

3rd April 2015, 22:06
Hi Ginge,

I've always respected your opinion. You know I'm not an expert, but for my part..I meant my clue to be a double definition - in the sense that "result" = election outcome. Later I wondered if the "a" may be superfluous.

Do you think that "Balanced diet" would be OK as a complete clue, or would someone then be saying, "Where's the definition?"

47 of 68  -   Report This Post

ginge

3rd April 2015, 22:19
Hi mattrom, no offence intended but for what it's worth, yes (a few genuine crossword aficionados who do not participate here, who riidicule me for doing so, regularly criticise my efforts savagely.
48 of 68  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

3rd April 2015, 22:20
Hi mattrom, I think many would just add a QM and leave it there.

(betcha ab would!)

A lot of this could be resolved if we could edit our clues .

@ginge - I agree about syz's clue because to me "well-endowed" means "well-hung" not "hung". There does seem to be a penchant for humour in clues here, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
49 of 68  -   Report This Post

rambler

3rd April 2015, 22:23

syzygy

3rd April 2015, 22:25
This should explain it:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hung
No further adjective is needed.
Oxford says the same.
51 of 68  -   Report This Post

syzygy

3rd April 2015, 22:28
Congrats, Mattrom. Thanks, Ixion, for hosting.
Thanks for the votes - Paul, Rambler, Chrise, Jws, & Busby.
52 of 68  -   Report This Post