CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

21st March 2015, 00:21
I will Elle, I get the paper every day so I'll come back here and and let you all know the outcome.

Thanks everyone for trying, much appreciated.
11 of 19  -   Report This Post

ginge

21st March 2015, 00:22
Hi Elle, no need to apologise. Everything looks spot on brendan and I know it's unsatisfactory leaving it as suggested, a setter error, but I can't see anything else but I'll be interested when you see the solution if you wouldn't mind advising us.
12 of 19  -   Report This Post

elle

21st March 2015, 22:28
Bumping up...

Did you get the solution to this, Brendan?
13 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st March 2015, 22:32
Alas Elle, it's a Monday to Friday paper, so we won't know until Monday evening!!
14 of 19  -   Report This Post

elle

21st March 2015, 22:38
Ok, Brendan - ...so we wait with bated breath till Monday.....!
15 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd March 2015, 19:12
Well, a very unsatisfactory conclusion, I'm afraid.

The answers are indeed DIALOGUE and ARMAGEDDON - so although we got the 'right' answers, one can't actually write them them in, (well, not both of them), because the G of Dialogue crosses with the E of Armageddon.

As is typical of too many publications these days, when it comes to crosswords, there is no apology or indeed any reference to it at all. In other words, business as usual at the Evening Standard!
16 of 19  -   Report This Post

elle

23rd March 2015, 19:23
Hi, Brendan!
So they don't print the answers in a grid? Just list them ?
Maybe the setter doesn't even realise that there is a mistake??!!!
I think this calls for a letter/ email to the editor?
I suppose we do have the (dubious) satisfaction of knowing we were correct?!
Thanks for the update!
17 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd March 2015, 19:30
Hi Elle, I suppose I shouldn't complain too much, it is a free paper after all, but still!

You're right about the answers are listed, so you may well be spot on about the setter not realizing there was even an error. I was about to add that it seems unlikely nobody had called in to point out the mistake, but then I thought 'Well, I didn't , so...
18 of 19  -   Report This Post

elle

23rd March 2015, 19:50
Well, it's not too late to do so.......!

I'm thinking maybe we were right in thinking that the setter couldn't spell 'Armageddon' when he/she set the crossword - it definitely looks like a 'g' was expected in the cross for 'dialogue', doesn't it?
19 of 19  -   Report This Post