CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

meursault

8th March 2015, 15:24
In case anyone else gets stuck on 34 (took me a long time to work this one out), the 'confusedly' refers to the dictionary definition on an old word/wrong word for ambassador. 7 requires rugby knowledge. Terrible theme. A nonsense quotation, though the originator tried her damnedest to make it come true...
1 of 28  -   Report This Post

unclued

8th March 2015, 17:54
My last solves were our 'enry at 12 and the Dutch money at 5. As I have mentioned here before I am getting tired of the "wordplay contains one extra letter etc etc....." theme. Not my favourite puzzle and I know nothing about rugby so guessed 7. At least there is no ambiguous ending this week! I think the Listener editors must be extremely embarrassed with all of the allowable alternatives recently.
2 of 28  -   Report This Post

meursault

8th March 2015, 22:23
The Dante puzzle was a shocker...on this puzzle the setter might easily have used "Society stands dissolved..." which was more elegant and from the beginning of a letter by Lalor to the 'Nation' from over 100 years earlier. Funny that this puzzle's originator should have chosen to imitate, in a poor way, the quotation of such a gifted Irishman !
3 of 28  -   Report This Post

simonsays

9th March 2015, 14:29
Definitely finding this one harder than other people seem to be. I would really just want to ask to confirm that 17d is NOT envoyship, which was my first thought. and to ask for a nudge to 19ac.
Thank you,
Simon
4 of 28  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

9th March 2015, 14:56
17d isn't envoyship

19a- drunk is definition. Bled is run in the wordplay
5 of 28  -   Report This Post

simonsays

9th March 2015, 15:30
Thank you. that is all done now.
Simon
6 of 28  -   Report This Post

rickye

9th March 2015, 17:31
Quite pleasant if not truly taxing. Not sure about the parsing of 34a once bear(i)ng omitted but it may not matter!
7 of 28  -   Report This Post

meursault

9th March 2015, 18:00
rickye - it's a 7 letter old & mistaken word for ambassador followed for a 4 letter word for bearing but minus the 'I', all contained in an abbreviation for between.
8 of 28  -   Report This Post

rickye

9th March 2015, 18:08
Thanks a lot!
9 of 28  -   Report This Post

kindred2

9th March 2015, 21:44
Can anyone give a gentle nudge for 2dn? It is completely stumping me
10 of 28  -   Report This Post