CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

heathcliff67

28th January 2015, 15:45
Legal power of court and police around Great Britain, perhaps? (11)

ROTA is an ecclesiastical court, the highest appellate court in the Roman Catholic Church.

RUC = Royal Ulster Constabulary, a former police force

the (SS) GREAT BRITAIN was a famous ship

CURATORSHIP is a power given by authority of law to administer property.

21 of 36  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

28th January 2015, 16:51
hi aristo , here goes...

reserve keeper = custodian or CURATOR , in the sense of one who looks after resources . Also (in soccer) a stand-in goalkeeper.
secured = attached to
historic victory = the famous flagSHIP of Lord Nelson
his performance = defn. ( performing the duties of a curator)

Surface attempting to portray a match winning effort by a fringe player .

Looking at it now I should have possibly added a ! fotr the &littish def , also "reserve" was an afterthought to smooth the surface , I was thinking about bank reserves etc.

hope this makes sense , Marty
22 of 36  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

28th January 2015, 16:58
Thanks, BigBad. Wasn't sure about the "ship" part.
23 of 36  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

28th January 2015, 18:07
This is a tough one. I'll be back in a bit- still moving snow around!
24 of 36  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

28th January 2015, 19:13
First of all, a warm welcome to heathcliff67. Lovely clue. I would have gotten ROTA but RUC I would have had to ferret out. I so enjoyed all the other clues too, especially the “situational” ones. Again, there were such nice touches, like greedy kite’s “not so spoiled”, ixion’s “after violent storm” (for the surface read), fieryjack’s “proud archivist”, the sweet homophones from peterm and mattrom, “cure ate a ship” (as I took it) and “cure eight oar ship” (for a moment I thought it was “warship”, and thought it might be an Aussie pronunciation!)… I’m going with Les40 @3, though I’m wondering if an apostrophe was left out for the surface read, though ”Aristophanes’s overseeing” could be either gerundive (which it of course needs to be) or taken as “A is”. The overall wordplay of

Aristophanes overseeing airports! Much trouble evacuating millions (11)

is just so nice. Here’s your prize, Les. It’s a bit long, but I think you’ll like it. I see that my favorite Titian, “The Rape of Europa”, is now simply “Europa”; there must have been complaints. No doubt the Poussin in the Louvre is now “The Sabine Women”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WWkdCmpyUI

Thanks, everyone!
25 of 36  -   Report This Post

heathcliff67

28th January 2015, 19:19
Thanks, Aristophanes and congratulations to Les40.
26 of 36  -   Report This Post

jws

28th January 2015, 19:34
well done Les and thanks for aristo for hosting in the midst of snow clearing. I hope it provided some light relief.
27 of 36  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

28th January 2015, 19:45
Nicely done , les .
Thanks aristo - I didn't realise those temperatures were in Farenheit ... brrr!!
28 of 36  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

28th January 2015, 19:55
Congrats, les, thanx, Aristo
29 of 36  -   Report This Post

ixion

28th January 2015, 20:59
Nice one Les, thanks for hosting Aristo.
30 of 36  -   Report This Post