CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ab

13th January 2015, 17:00
Thanks again for these clues, Jolan. Not always around on Tuesdays and so lucky to have had the chance to have a go at them.

1. Drunk, therefore last to notice it’s so close to the hole as to make a putt a mere formality (5-4)- STONE-DEAD? (Stoned – drunk, with therefore last- e and notice “a D” ( A D notice – UK security notice) gives Stoned e AD – “so close to the hole as to make a putt a mere formality”)

2. Flier longing to return after sentimentality shown by girlfriend (10)- GOONEYBIRD? (Goo- sentimentality, with yen- longing reversed + “bird”- old UK slang for girlfriend gives Gooneybird- flier)

3. Unleavened bread. You’re either eating it or carefully wrapping it up (4) ROTI? (Roti is unleavened bread. Either anagram of “it or” or “it or” reversed)

4. Cocktail of crustless kelp in a small buckwheat pancake (7)- BELLINI? ( Crustless kelp is “el” , with Blini – a small buckwheat pancake, gives Bellini- a cocktail)

5. It’s a clever and successful stratagem, accepting a fancy shirt and suit (9)- COURTSHIP? ( Coup – a clever and successful stratagem, accepting an anagram of shirt gives courtship – a suit)

Thanks again.
AB

11 of 24  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

Only three to offer:

3. ROTI (unleavened bread) hidden (reversed) in clue
4. BELLINI (Cocktail) crustless (k)el(p) = el in Blini (small buckwheat pancake)
5. COURTSHIP (suit) clever and successful stratagem = coup ; accepting (containing) fancy (anagrind) shirt

Stuck on the others.
Thanks jolan for cheering up a dreary afternoon. Jg
12 of 24  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

Hi Jolan

Under the cosh today so I'll just post my answers. Great clues as usual- good to have our Tuesday tussle.

1-Stone Dead
2-Gooneybird
3-Roti
4-Bellini
5-Courtship

13 of 24  -   Report This Post

trevor

1. Drunk, therefore last to notice it’s so close to the hole as to make a putt a mere formality (5-4) Stone Dead.

2. Flier longing to return after sentimentality shown by girlfriend (10) Gooneybird.

3. Unleavened bread. You’re either eating it or carefully wrapping it up (4) Roti.

4. Cocktail of crustless kelp in a small buckwheat pancake (7) Bellini.

5. It’s a clever and successful stratagem, accepting a fancy shirt and suit (9) Courtship.

Bread and pancakes - were you peckish?
thanks as always.
14 of 24  -   Report This Post

trevor

13th January 2015, 17:05
i had same parsing as AB except - notice = ad, which i thought was short for advertisement.
15 of 24  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

13th January 2015, 17:09
I'm kicking myself for not getting gooneybird. I had already guessed it had yen and goo in it, and still did not solve.
16 of 24  -   Report This Post

ab

13th January 2015, 17:09
Hi trevor. I think you're right.
17 of 24  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th January 2015, 17:11
Thanks jolan
I had 1, 3 and 4.

(Quiz question - which meat dish was apparently invented in the same establishment as the Bellini cocktail was? - and what was the establishment?)
18 of 24  -   Report This Post

ab

13th January 2015, 17:13
Harry's Bar - Carpaccio?
19 of 24  -   Report This Post

trevor

13th January 2015, 17:13
gooneybird nearly foxed me too. i'd dismissed gooney at one point for not having enough letters.
20 of 24  -   Report This Post