CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

7th October 2014, 15:09
I now have #2 also. :)
11 of 22  -   Report This Post

jolan

7th October 2014, 15:53
Peeking in. Hi also, Ari (the clipper), Ginge (she worked out wonderfully - 6 hours necessary first time (Oh the shame of it all)) and Jazzy (well done).
Good luck with #4 Chris.
12 of 22  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th October 2014, 15:55
I have 6 letters I want to fit in #4, but can't see what the other 5 might be!

I also have a word that fits definition and letter count for #5, but not a glimmer of a parse - probably wrong, then!
13 of 22  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

7th October 2014, 16:03
Chris. I wish I could give you a small hint, but I would be in trouble....
14 of 22  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th October 2014, 16:07
Heaven forfend, jazzy!
15 of 22  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th October 2014, 17:00
Thanks jolan - these have kept me thinking all afternoon (with limited success!)

1 DREICH
(hidden) This is a Scottish word that is very useful for grey, miserable weather (like today), but it originally meant "long drawn out"

2. MORTISE LOCKS
"Morlocks" were the brutish underclass in H.G. Wells's "The time machine", around anagram ("building") "site"

3?

4 I want to get HOTROD ("stolen weapon") in, but the only things I could find were (Lea) GATE HOTRODS and (Hell's) GATE HOTRODS.

5 skedaddling?????
16 of 22  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

7th October 2014, 17:00
My offerings today are :

1. DREICH (Scot. Long drawn out) (hidden in clue)
2. MORTISE LOCKS (security devices) Time Machine species: Morlocks
securing (around) building (anag. indicator) site = tise
4. RIDE SHOTGUN (to go on stage (coach) possibly.
mounts= rides; stolen= hot; weapon=gun

Fingers crossed.
Thank you jolan for the challenge. jg
17 of 22  -   Report This Post

ab

7th October 2014, 17:01
Thanks for these, Jolan. A challenge as always and a real treat to be able to have a go again.
Here is my stab at them.
1. Long drawn out cover-up by the Third Reich ? (6) DREICH? (In clue Scots dialect word- a long drawn out day is a dreich day/"

2. Security devices, from Time Machine species, securing building site (7,5) MORTISE LOCKS? (Morlocks from the Time Machine around “site”?)

3. Light helmet collection’s taken out of the lot (6) SALLET? (Collection- set with all – the lot gives sallet in Chambers as a light helmet)

4. Mounts stolen weapon to go on stage, possibly (4,7) RIDE SHOTGUN? (mounts – rides + hot – stolen + gun – weapon gives “ride shotgun” – on a stagecoach?)

5. Legging it could be to run with short quick steps in leading some race (11) SPATTERDASH? (To run with short quick steps- patter with s (leading some) and dash – race, gives spatterdash – a form of legging?)
18 of 22  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th October 2014, 17:02
Lesson to me - don't get obsessed with a blind alley. "HOT GUN" much more obvious than "HOT ROD"!
19 of 22  -   Report This Post

jolan

7th October 2014, 17:34
Oh Yes! ab. Great to see you. Well done everybody else, especially Jazzy (3/5). There seems to be quite a few of our regulars missing these days. Although there's no need for me to post my workings (ta to ab), I'll do it anyway (if only to explain the "it" in 'legging it'. I hate redundant terms in crossies and I try to explain any that seem to be there.

Great to see you doing what I would find very difficult indeed. Solving 'cold turkey..J

1. it’s ‘in’ there (cover-up) DREICH = long drawn out (Chambers def)

2. Time Machine species (HG Wells) = Morlocks; building (anag ind) site = tise; securing = containment ind. Mor(tise)locks = MORTISE LOCKS = security devices.

3. collection = set; the lot = all; s(all)et = a light helmet .... (Chambers def)

4.mounts = rides; stolen weapon = hot gun; rides+hot+gun = RIDE SHOTGUN = to go on stage (possibly)

5. it could be = it may be, etc (just a description of what follows - a misleader to cover “it” – it’s not “legging it”, it’s just “legging”); to run with short quick steps = patter (Chambers def); leading some = s; race = dash; (“in” gives) s(patter)dash = SPATTERDASH = legging (Ch and Ox def)
20 of 22  -   Report This Post