CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

10th September 2014, 18:08
Having just checked for any late entries, again not the greatest turnout in terms of the numbers of clues submitted so thanks everyone for having taken part. Nice to see a clue from imagcq again. I for one, have missed your "competition" entries and contributions on other threads (usually in the "wee" hours). Perhaps on a separate thread, if you feel up to it, you could give us an update on your situation.
I should no longer be surprised at the standard of clues submitted and some of the combinations of synonyms, cryptic and in definition have been both clever, "warped" and hilarious which has not made this an easy task. I feel the clue, assuming we discount jolan's on 5 @ 5 (quite an incredible coincidence and I'm glad to see that even with the bar being set so so high  you all rose to the challenge), combining all the elements of a good cryptic clue this week is BBM2 @ 4 with;

Angry protest before mine closure destroyed community

Congratulations BBM2, hopefully, here's your prize (for my money the German Shepherd is a bit of a ham).

http://youtu.be/r77sNKZV26g

Until next week, cheers, ginge.
21 of 36  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

10th September 2014, 18:35
Thank you ginge .

I had two ideas about this phrase - this one to use "mine" as a noun and another one about pickling an admiral in brandy which was inspired by your penchant for the sauce . Funny thing is the first one kind of wrote itself whilst the brandy thing took several rewrites - just shows you how these things work out !

great clip - I like the rodent .

thanks again and see you all next week

Marty
22 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th September 2014, 18:58
Thanks ginge and congratulations BBM2.

As for the clip..................oh dear, only in the US would that be considered "supercute".
23 of 36  -   Report This Post

fieryjack

10th September 2014, 19:00
Congratulations BBM2
Cheers Ginge
24 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th September 2014, 19:01
btw there is a lot of controversy about exactly what Nelson was brought back pickled in. It seems certain that it was a brandy BARREL, but to me (and others) it is much more likely that it was refilled with rum (brandy was carried on the ship for the officers; rum was for the "other ranks" - I doubt that the officers would have sacrificed theirs!)
25 of 36  -   Report This Post

jws

10th September 2014, 19:19
well done Marty and thanks to ginge for the words to clue
26 of 36  -   Report This Post

ab

10th September 2014, 19:45
Congratulations, bigbadmarty2.
27 of 36  -   Report This Post

ixion

10th September 2014, 20:41
Congrats bbm2 and thanks ginge
28 of 36  -   Report This Post

paul

10th September 2014, 20:46
Nice clue Marty and thanks Ginge!
29 of 36  -   Report This Post

rosalind

10th September 2014, 21:16
Well done Marty, again! Thanks ginge, nice to have a phrase to clue.
30 of 36  -   Report This Post