CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

2nd September 2014, 13:41
Tried everything- my desktop, laptop, tablets, smartphone, different browsers. Glad to see you're still evil. Only saw 5 right off.
11 of 29  -   Report This Post

andyc

2nd September 2014, 13:46
Ah Jolan's back! Glad you are still out and about. I think I have 1, 4 and 5.....but got to catch a plane later, so can't post...a pity. Thanks for your efforts as always.
12 of 29  -   Report This Post

fieryjack

2nd September 2014, 13:55
Glad to have you back jolan and I have difficulty (more) without any letters.
Have got 3 and 4 though
13 of 29  -   Report This Post

jolan

2nd September 2014, 14:24
Hi also Andyc and FJ.

Gee Ari, I'm finding the site is going "unresponsive" several times over past half-hour. I've tried other sites and it only seems to be happening here.
14 of 29  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd September 2014, 15:32
I now have #3 and #5.
15 of 29  -   Report This Post

trevor

2nd September 2014, 15:49
great to see 5@5 again. just need #2 i think. thanks jolan.
16 of 29  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

2nd September 2014, 17:00
Hi Jolan
Welcome back it was a pleasant surprise to see you back today and I always look forward to our weekly tussle.
My suggestions are the following.
1. Mythical sea monster described as a large beast by the academic world (11)HIPPOCAMPUS. Hippo (large beast) + Campus (academic world)

2. Burn our original locations in action (9) CAUTERISE. Uteri (our original locations as in the womb) surrounded by Case (action)

3. Curling tongs not found in a gents gathering-room abroad (3,7,4) THE ROARING GAME. Curling is known as The Roaring Game. It is a subtractive anagram of ‘A gent’s gathering room’ (minus) tongs. Abroad is anagram indicator.

4. Long-term con involving retired copper and an early Venus (7) LUCIFER. Synonym for Venus. Lifer (long term con) containing CU (copper) in reverse.

5. Corresponding with banks may give you some exercise (8,4) PARALLEL BARS. Corresponding with (Parallel) Banks (Bars).
17 of 29  -   Report This Post

ab

Welcome back Jolan.
What a joy to see you again.
Thank you for these great clues. All five are high quality (2 is marvellous) and the eureka moments still bring a smile of admiration at your skill.
Here is my stab at them-
1. Mythical sea monster described as a large beast by the academic world (11)- HIPPOCAMPUS?
Large beast – Hippo + campus- academic world gives hippocampus a mythical sea monster?

2. Burn our original locations in action (9) – CAUTERISE?
Case- action with uteri- our original locations- gives cauterise – burn?

3. Curling tongs not found in a gents gathering-room abroad (3,7,4)- THE ROARING GAME?
Subtractive anagram “tongs” out of “a gents gathering-room” gives “the roaring game”- Curling?

4. Long-term con involving retired copper and an early Venus (7)- LUCIFER?
Long term con- lifer +cu (copper) reversed gives Lucifer- morning star and thus early planet Venus?

5. Corresponding with banks may give you some exercise (8,4)- PARALLEL BARS?
Corresponding with – parallel and banks – bars gives something on which you exercise?

Many thanks again.
AB

18 of 29  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

Just two to offer:

3. The Roaring Game (curling) "a gents gathering room" (minus "tongs") anagram
5. Parallel Bars (some excercise) (corresponding = parallel; banks = bars)

I look forward to seeing the other solutions.
Thanks as always jolan.

19 of 29  -   Report This Post

jolan

2nd September 2014, 17:26
Well done Jazzy and hello to Trevor, DJ and ab.

Splendid solving AND parsing DJ and ab. All correct, of course.

I'll need to get up earlier in the morning to catch you two out (It'll never happen). No need for my working.

Thanks all for participating. See you in a week for 5 new 'uns.

Bless

J
20 of 29  -   Report This Post