CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dunc the dunce

30th January 2010, 17:13
I'm knew to all this stuff so need some help to get me started!

13d. All I can think of is something to do with propellers. Please help, this is more stressful than work!
11 of 14  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th January 2010, 17:25
The answer to this is chessboard. It's made up like this: CHE for Che Guevara - the revolutionary - then SS for on ship - then BOARD for on ship and the whole CHESSBOARD - where men - i.e. pieces - ae moved.

If uou're fairly new to xwords, you perhaps don't know that Araucaria - the setter for this particular one, is reckoned as one of the most clever setters - the best, in my opinion, and his clues are usually quite tricky, but always fair, and always witty.
12 of 14  -   Report This Post

dunc the dunce

30th January 2010, 17:30
Wow that's awesome. Thanks for the explanation. Which are the easier ones I should be looking for?

Hopefully a few first letters from chessboards will get me moving.

Thanks again
13 of 14  -   Report This Post

ajt

30th January 2010, 17:37
That's quite a tough one. The Guardian are reckomed to be some of the toughest around. I startedyears ago with the Daily Telegraph -most days that's fairly easy. I think it's a good idea to keep each day'seffort, then compare it with the answer next day (usually). Do you know you can download the Guardian Xwords from their website - just go to "Guardian" then search for Crosswords. This includes the Observer Sunday ones as well, and I@ve always found their Sunday Everyman fairly easy - a good one to practise on. Happy hunting.
14 of 14  -   Report This Post