CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

19th July 2014, 21:06
Hello again Barretter. I have Gawain and Tristram for the two answers. The internet makes it too easy these days because just searching with a couple of these names together gives the theme.
11 of 30  -   Report This Post

barretter

19th July 2014, 21:32
Yes, I had both of those. I was just trying to give hints without being too obvious. As soon as I had solved the anagram of 4down and the rather straightforward 9 down I knew we were in Arthurian territory which made guessing the title rather easy, which in turn led to the solution of the Playfair square and to a full grid. Just a question now of tracking the names of the 14 27s provided by the spare letters in the down clues across the grid. I've played chess since I was ten so it shouldn't be impossible.
12 of 30  -   Report This Post

unclued

19th July 2014, 22:22
Demeter - have you got the theme yet? Perhaps it should have been a round grid.
13 of 30  -   Report This Post

demeter

19th July 2014, 23:04
Yes, thanks inclued (and barreter). I'm such a fool - I hadn't read the preamble properly, and didn't realise that the asterisked clues were wordplay only.
14 of 30  -   Report This Post

barretter

20th July 2014, 14:14
I hope I've finished and have carried out the final instruction correctly, but can anyone explain the wordplay for 11dn. I have a strange word D-H-S-E- which means "burst" the same way that "plopped" can but I have no idea how the clue works.
15 of 30  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

20th July 2014, 14:45
It's popped the l isn't used

It's disced (to use a harrow)

Around eh or what!
16 of 30  -   Report This Post

barretter

20th July 2014, 17:11
Thanks very much for that : I would never have guessed that disc could be a verb meaning to work with a (disc) harrow ; and "eh" for what is a bit devious too!
I meant to write "popped" as it provides the first letter of the digraph that translates the "AL" of the first name to be traced in the grid but it's a while since I finished. Thanks again.
17 of 30  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

20th July 2014, 17:27
I've completed the puzzle without too much difficulty but I don't understand the logic behind the clue to 3dn. Why should 'Little suit to attend' = CAL? And who is Bertie?
18 of 30  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

20th July 2014, 17:33
I've completed the puzzle without too much difficulty but I don't understand the logic behind the clue to 3dn. Why should 'Little suit to attend' = CAL? And who is Bertie?
19 of 30  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

20th July 2014, 17:52
20 of 30  -   Report This Post