CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

livs

8th July 2014, 08:34
nib, I put an 'S' into 19A, once parsed. But to me, it could just about work without doing anything to it.

But then, I may be wrong again. And I only got 19A and 15D before I gave up yesterday!
11 of 64  -   Report This Post

nikki

8th July 2014, 09:32
Can anyone say if 'don"t' and 'she"s' in 31a are meant to be punctuated thus, and if so why?
12 of 64  -   Report This Post

nikki

8th July 2014, 09:54
Ah, got it now. It is just a misprint.
13 of 64  -   Report This Post

prospero

8th July 2014, 15:48
Done it! But I'm not very happy about the description of the eight clues connected with the quote ... I guess it's deliberately imprecise and so are the solutions.
14 of 64  -   Report This Post

pendragon

8th July 2014, 16:11
This is infuriating! I got half of the grid very very quickly and then stalled. The problem is I keep solving the clue, taking a letter out, and then matching the resultant answer with the definition of another clue. And that's so easy! For example, an anagram of DONTSIRSHE (31A) with a letter removed is HEDONISTS ... which matched what I was looking for in "obliging ladies" (16A). Or (22D), "try to get attention" could be yell, an anagram of "telly" with one letter removed (14D). But you're not supposed to use both modifications on one clue! Just give me a few weeks and I'll be there.
15 of 64  -   Report This Post

nikki

8th July 2014, 17:18
Pendragon, I (think) I have completed the grid, but I have been working on a completely different wavelength to you, by the examples you quote, if I am correct. I may not be correct because I can't see the politician or make sense of the extra letters fore the quotation, one of which is a Z.
My solutions involve removing an extraneous letter in the cryptic part of 27 clues (though two of mine are doubtful). The remaining 8 clues have their definition parts swapped round, and are paired.
Am I correct?
And could somebody offer me a clue as to how to spot the politician?
16 of 64  -   Report This Post

pendragon

8th July 2014, 17:44
I was worried about my Z too!
17 of 64  -   Report This Post

pendragon

8th July 2014, 17:53
Actually, with the Z clue, surely that is the only way to analyse it? It is defined well enough, and, by taking the Z out, it becomes the other. If that's not clear, blame my brain with this crossword. And why am I arguing about one of the few clues that I'm happy with?
18 of 64  -   Report This Post

nikki

8th July 2014, 18:08
I agree. I am looking for a spare letter in either 6 or 32 now.
19 of 64  -   Report This Post

pendragon

8th July 2014, 18:17
I have 32 as one needing a letter to be removed
20 of 64  -   Report This Post