CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

9th September 2013, 00:56
L.P. Hartley, The Go-Between. One of the great opening lines.
11 of 19  -   Report This Post

syzygy

9th September 2013, 03:49
@rambler

Probably the reason nobody posted was that they had a differing point of view but didn't want to get tarred with the same brush - the fear of reprisal.

@Aristo

Eloquently put; much better than I would have. Wrote what amounts to a bit of a rant, but didn't post it, & won't, for the above reason.

I maintain the cartoon board in the public area at work. Most are from the New Yorker & Farside. I get many positive responses, but I'm exceedingly careful about what I put up, avoiding certain topics & anything that could be construed as off-colour, so in 10 years there has been only one complaint. It was a Farside cartoon about the sale of Manhattan. I was accused of being "culturally insensitive". Unfortunately, it was destroyed by the complainant so don't have it handy.
"A picture is worth a thousands words."

From what I've seen of British & US comedy programmes, you have far more latitude than we do in Canada. There's a "tribunal" that can levy huge fines & even put you in jail for offending someone. How's that for fascism?

We live in fear of the PC crowd ... & the humourless.

12 of 19  -   Report This Post

rosalind

9th September 2013, 08:30
I long since learned that saying what I felt about anything was likely to be a mistake. We Brits are known for our conversational obsession with the weather- at least that is hardly controversial, though rarely very interesting either.
I remain in admiration of those who do say what they think. I fear that honest and serious debate will become a thing of the past.
Just look what has happened to Richard Dawkins for daring to write what many people have said to me privately. Is it really no longer possible to put forward a contrary view without the world landing on your head?
I have just been reading some Parliamentary debates of the 1850s. The past is definitely another country.
R
13 of 19  -   Report This Post

busby

9th September 2013, 11:06
Hi all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

PS: If anyone has Pastille's email address please forward the link to her with this message "Greetings from down under", as I know the lady appreciates this performers work.
14 of 19  -   Report This Post

rosalind

9th September 2013, 13:03
Done that, Busby. It's pastille's birthday on Wednesday and I think it may even be a significant one but I've lost my little list!
R
15 of 19  -   Report This Post

monty

9th September 2013, 20:04
Excuse me.........thought that this was a crossword forum???
16 of 19  -   Report This Post

trevor

9th September 2013, 20:50
Excuse me monty.........thought that this post was addressed to julianandsandy???
17 of 19  -   Report This Post

pastille

10th September 2013, 01:00
In the words of the "Arnie" "I will be back"

Thanks for the heads up Rossie...x

@ Trevor ...still stalking you hunnybun.... X
18 of 19  -   Report This Post

pastille

10th September 2013, 01:15
...and many thanks busby....... X
19 of 19  -   Report This Post