CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

16th July 2013, 21:11
Hi also to Chrise and Andyc. Yep! You've solved all but one between everyone. Ari has had enough time to work on it, so I suppose I'll print my workings.
#2 might be considered a bit unfair. Rather then just "give" it how about a wee hint.

The latter part of the clue (?) is a play on words.

The "definition" part would be A Greek (not a specific person) who occupied the Fanar quarter of Constantinople,

Could also be a class of Greek officials in Turkish history .... (not in MY clue, though).

I'll post my w.orking shortly

11 of 19  -   Report This Post

jolan

16th July 2013, 21:12
.... "official" ... (should have been singular.
12 of 19  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

16th July 2013, 21:19
Hi again
Is it Fanariot ?
13 of 19  -   Report This Post

jolan

16th July 2013, 21:22
Ha, ha! Indeed it is. Fan a riot (boom, boom!). I knew you'd be onto it straight away.
14 of 19  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

16th July 2013, 21:23
Well, you did give a lot of clues ! Off to Nodland now. Thanks again. breuddwydion melys
15 of 19  -   Report This Post

jolan

16th July 2013, 21:28
Wel! Nos da i ti hefyd. Cwsg iawn. x

1. transfer = second; train = string; SECOND STRING = an alternative choice (Chambers)

2. fan a riot = Fanariot = a Greek etc. (Chambers)

3. Old woman = ma: nineteen = xix; issue (finally) = e. MAXIXE = Brazilian dance

4. It’s “in” there (retaining); CANE = staff

5. model = shape; strips = tapes; SHAPE TAPES (inf) = media promoting fitness (adapted from Chambers)
16 of 19  -   Report This Post

andyc

16th July 2013, 21:32
Thanks Jolan....not much time today.
17 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th July 2013, 22:09
Thanks, jolan - off to bed also!
18 of 19  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

17th July 2013, 00:35
I've been out since I last posted, Jolan. I tried to use riot for 2, because my first thought was Cypriote; I wondered if there was a variant Cipriote that would work...and that's where I left off. Thanks for the challenge. "Model strips" was a nice touch.
19 of 19  -   Report This Post