CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

redundantelf

25th June 2013, 20:29
Wonder where it originated from? Have a good evening and see you next week.
31 of 38  -   Report This Post

redundantelf

25th June 2013, 20:33
Posts crossed - I'm fine thanks. I will be glad, though, when the plaster comes off - then it's just a matter of time :)
32 of 38  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

25th June 2013, 20:35
A BIT obscure???
RE: No doubt from "Thanks for having me under your roof", like "Thanks for the bread and butter". Never ever heard this one.
33 of 38  -   Report This Post

redundantelf

25th June 2013, 20:37
You're probably right on the button there aristophanes. Take care in your heatwave :)
34 of 38  -   Report This Post

jolan

25th June 2013, 20:39
and also Ari, would that be a "butterer"? :))
35 of 38  -   Report This Post

jolan

25th June 2013, 20:40
Here's my working of today's lot. Thank youi all for participating. Makes it great fun for me.

1. washed out = wan; A51 = ALI; “taking” = w(ali)an = WALIAN = a native or inhabitant of Wales.

2. (cryptic double) ROOFER = top craftsman (cryptic) and (inf) “a letter of thanks for hospitality” (Chambers)

3. Invigorating = crisp; fashionable = in; CRISPIN = poetic name for shoemaker

4. subtractive anag (to play) of “hide-and-seek” – (no) “need” = DASHEKI = a type of loose shirt worn in Africa, and also in the US (Chambers under “dashiki”)

5. dark = sable; ‘er + weakness = er + vice; clothing = covering (around); yields s(er + vice)able = SERVICEABLE = hard-wearing
36 of 38  -   Report This Post

tony

25th June 2013, 20:52
Thanks for another set of challenging clues.

When do you start formulating the weekly clues?

The second definition for #2 was a new one to me - great, I always enjoy the learning experience even after over 65 years of solving.

Have a good week.
T
37 of 38  -   Report This Post

jolan

25th June 2013, 22:23
Thank yoy Tony.
I usually start on Sunday before Tuesday (and panic sets in on Monday night. But, this week, I've been a good chap and have next week's clues ready (a rare occurrence indeed).

65 years of solving! Small wonder you're quite an expert. I have the greatest of respect for your skills.

Off to bed now. Take great care everyone and have a super and safe week.

Dunno how you cope with that heat Ari. I'd find it difficult. It's rarely over-warm here on the Isle of Anglesey. Mostly balmy. The sea is a great friend in that respect.

Bless

John
38 of 38  -   Report This Post