CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bullfrog

8th December 2009, 09:50
Every month, on the first Monday, the Guardian Crossword website runs a Genius Crossword. Yesterday I printed off the December edition, No. 78 by Brummie, and was surprised to see no special instructions -- just a regular cryptic. I was getting along quite well (maybe too wellwhen it became clear that at least one of the solutions was actually the opposite of the answer suggested by the clue:
25a Original image, say, possessed by aboriginal (8) which is clearly N(EG)ATIVE
Except the crossing solutions give me P and S at letters 1 and 3, suggesting that the answer is POSITIVE. This is the kind of thing that the Genius compiler gets up to, but with fair warning in the special instructions. I went back to the website to see if any instructions had been added overnight, only to find that the whole puzzle has disappeared, with the November edition back in its place! Nice to see that, even in the digital age, you can rely on The Grauniad to cock up!
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

ajt

8th December 2009, 10:40
I had the same difficulty with the December Genius puzzle yesterday - it took a while for the penny to drop. I did complete it, and submitted it, but with the uneasy feelingthat I may have missed some of the "opposites". There really should have been some indication of how many to look for - I felt this particularly with the 4-letter words.
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

8th December 2009, 10:51
I emailed the editor just after posting here, but no reply so far...
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

ajt

8th December 2009, 11:02
I see they have now replaced the December puzzle - with an explanation, but so far no apology. We should get a prize for trying!
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

8th December 2009, 11:40
About 30 years ago, they printed the wrong grid with the Saturday Prize crossword, but apologised on the Monday and said that it would be possible to construct the grid from the solutions. I sweated blood to get it finished and, feeling very pleased with myself, thought I may as well send it in -- I don't usually bother, but I figured that there must be a decent chance of winning. When they gave the solution and announced the winners it turned out that there'd been an even higher number of entries than usual!
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

ajt

8th December 2009, 11:44
It jusr goes to show that we love a good challenge. I don't think there's much to beat the satisfaction and glow from having completed a really difficult puzzle.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

8th December 2009, 11:47
I know what you mean -- I get a perverse pleasure if my first sweep through the clues doesn't yield a single answer!
7 of 7  -   Report This Post