CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

andyc

11th June 2013, 17:11
Subtractive anag:

travel out of "big Brest naval"
21 of 30  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

11th June 2013, 17:21
Just to say "thank you" jolan. I was really under par today. Excellent clues as always. Off to tea now.
22 of 30  -   Report This Post

jolan

11th June 2013, 17:22
Hi also to Les 40 and Jazzy (x). Well done, all! Andy, all but GK's 'offers'. Wonder where ab is today? I'll append my working. Hope you enjoyed 'em this week. Bless. John

1. Greek character = theta; Chinese time = Ming; anag(rough) of “show the ref” =oftheshrew; THE TAMING OF THE SHREW = play.

2. Domineering older woman = Battle-axe; closes = blocks; BATTLE-AXE BLOCKS = plots of land without street frontages in Oz (or NZ - Chambers Dict.)

3. kills = offs; hesitation = er; OFFERS = advances

4. subtractive anag (from & building) of “big Brest naval” – “travel” = BIN-BAGS = liners.

5. stitching = sewing; around “a” = SEA WING = a sail.

23 of 30  -   Report This Post

andyc

11th June 2013, 17:26
Thanks Jolan, great as always and had me going all day. I looked at offers, had a feeling about "er" for hesitation....but was, once again, outfoxed.

Andy
24 of 30  -   Report This Post

jolan

11th June 2013, 17:47
Super Andy. Very glad to hear they exercise the old brain power. I was thinking they were all solved rapidly. Nice to know that's not so.

I'm off to have my VERY TINY din-din (see my earlier diet plan !!!). I'm shipping the usual box-fulls over to Ari (if he's finished breakfast by now LOL). I'll take a peek in later, if my strength holds up. John
25 of 30  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

11th June 2013, 17:48
"To off" was new to me, too! Great fun as always!
26 of 30  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

11th June 2013, 19:27
Just got back. Is "off" in that sense really an Americanism? I suppose it sounds like one, and I didn't have to look it up. :) Got them all, Jolan, and now I'm waiting for my treats, with paws raised.

27 of 30  -   Report This Post

rosie

11th June 2013, 21:50
I apologise if this is a silly question but why is Chinese
in brackets?
Wouldn't the clue work without them?
28 of 30  -   Report This Post

les40

11th June 2013, 22:01
Cheers Andy and Jolan for theexlanations
29 of 30  -   Report This Post

jolan

12th June 2013, 16:57
Hio there Rosie and welcome. I've just come home.

Not a silly question at all.

Chinese was not really completely necessary but was included as an additional 'hint'; MING (noun) = a Chinese dynasty and MING (adjective) = refers to the time of the dynasty. (Chambers D)

I suspect the "Jolan Group" would not have been happy bunnies had I just put "time".

Bless

J
30 of 30  -   Report This Post