CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

15th May 2013, 17:08
aristo,
Had to check up on your TV network TBS for 'c', only just sunk in about 'L' , I just didn't see the Def but am now kicking myself that it's not a 'doorway' but 'to charm' English spelling with an added 'U' (Hence Queen Elizabeth) very clever.
Can't see the first 2 letters of 'i' answer from the clue given (Recent title character - Pi) . Any help welcome with that bit please,

PS: Have you gone with 'K' or 'C' for the second letter in 24 Down (I went with 'C' ) The homophone can work both ways, do you agree
11 of 23  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

15th May 2013, 17:25
I assume it's from Life of Pi. I went with the C too- didn't even think about it- but you're right; the phrasing just naturally makes one assume it's the C he's after.
12 of 23  -   Report This Post

les40

15th May 2013, 17:28
Cheers aristo
13 of 23  -   Report This Post

syzygy

16th May 2013, 04:41
@Aristo (post 10) Don't think I've ever starred so many (for April) - 12 !
The dogs were:
28A (too US) - SMU
39A canCELed - poor container, if that's what it was.
Perhaps you can ask you daughter for the solution page with the wordplay.
10D "earn" is not a noun that equates with "gross".

Otherwise, one of the best in a while.
14 of 23  -   Report This Post

syzygy

16th May 2013, 05:15
May puzzle: always like the 6 & 7 ones.
Stars: 31A, 2D, 7D, 28D, a6, a7, g7, l7
Dogs: 11A - if that's a cupola, very poor homophone.
h6: "galleries" is not the best def. though obviously an attempt to play with the painter Turner.

@L & A
l7 was my last - the "entrance" got me too.
24D - which is the homophone? After rereading umpteen times, I'll go with C.

If anyone is interested, I can scan & post my solution.
15 of 23  -   Report This Post

les40

16th May 2013, 10:25
Finished 'FOR SHORT'
Started it at midnight which was a big mistake, had to be up at 7:30 for work, but did finish it around 3am. had to google a few. 13a,14d, and never heard of him referred to as 41a, did look this up and found it originates from your neck of the woods aristo, on the east coast of the US.
Got the link before the anagram, but realised that some of the letters needed for this are in the unclued entries. Ah! The unclued entries, which the Preamble says there are 'EIGHT' , what's all that about???
Favourite 'Penny drop' moment clues 32d, 24a (this had me stumped for ages)

Can't seem to get much from 39a.
Bit of animation = Def
The rest is a tad vague, maybe the 3 letter answer + anagram of 'D A N C E' (another bit of animation maybe) I just don't know.

I'll get back later and see if you guys can shed some light on that one.

Oh, RE:15a, wish I'd have read the links properly first and realised it was the April edition, it could have saved me some time... Doh!
16 of 23  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

16th May 2013, 12:30
Syzzie and Les: I've sent you the April solution as a Word file (tried to at least). Let me know if it worked. You can then post it here if you wish, because I'm not sure how to do it.
17 of 23  -   Report This Post

les40

16th May 2013, 12:35
'll check in a minute aristo, I've got my completed copy anyway if you want me to scan and send via dropbox, do you want me to put up the May 'Sixes & Sevens' solution aswell.
I'll have to do it later when I get home because I've never linked my Dropbox account to this works laptop so can't access it here.
18 of 23  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

16th May 2013, 12:40
As we assumed, CEL was simply hidden (ugh!). Perhaps it's a US thing, Syzzie, but I think it's fair to say that gross is used for earn, and it appears as a synonym for it in the online thesaurus I sometimes use. I know that it has a more specific meaning, but people aren't always specific in their speech (you heard it here first).

Les: I scanned mine, so you needn't go to the trouble.
19 of 23  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

16th May 2013, 12:52
Syzzie: Re 11a, it does work as a homophone in most of the US. I happen to pronounce do and due differently, but there certainly are Noo Yorkers who don't. :)
20 of 23  -   Report This Post