CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jaunty

16th April 2013, 20:39
tks jazzie. as always ever helpful. Have a great week!
21 of 38  -   Report This Post

wally

16th April 2013, 21:35
Hi Folks. I was wondering if I was getting past it today. Without this forum I would have closed the R.T. and been satisfied that I had completed the crossword without understanding why I had some of the answers. Now I can bring others into the discussion.
10ac I get the idea, but don’t understand why “Half empty space”. Is it meaning that only half a letter is used in each square leaving it half empty? (If you have the answer you will see what I mean).
20ac What is the significance of “transmitting”? Is it just to give the “ing” of the answer?
1dn I needed to consult the internet to discover that this name of this bird was a No. 1 hit.
2dn Where does the last “U” come from? If it is from “for all to see” please explain why.
17dn and 18dn gave me difficulty. Typing this I have just realised where the “up” comes from. ( It’s like “Did you know that edam cheese is made backwards?”) . For 18dn I had a word that could describe cooked peas using a “M” for mum, but sorted that out before looking at this forum.
22 of 38  -   Report This Post

cantersue

16th April 2013, 23:00
Sally. 10a. "two units may". Gives us u u m. These are put after half a word for empty to make the answer of an empty space.
23 of 38  -   Report This Post

cantersue

16th April 2013, 23:01
Sorry. Sally should read Wally!
24 of 38  -   Report This Post

wally

17th April 2013, 08:05
2d At 2a.m. this morning I realized that the “U” is the old film classification. I really was slow yesterday!
25 of 38  -   Report This Post

wally

17th April 2013, 08:15
10ac Sorry Cantersue, I’m not convinced. The “UUM” is clear, but the reference to “open” suggests a connection with “W” which “opens” in the solution. Your suggestion seems to say that all that the clue means is that “UUM” is the second half of the word.
26 of 38  -   Report This Post

wally

17th April 2013, 08:32
10ac Sorry Cantersue! I concede. The “open” refers to the first three letters of the three words, and half empty is half of “vacant”.
27 of 38  -   Report This Post

bees

17th April 2013, 14:27
Hi,
Can I have clues for my last 2 please?
7a Page from predictable epic ?L?E?
and 13d Diver splitting German's hesitation. ?E?G?N?e? I'm torn between a choice of two ducks; one contains DER (German 'the') but beyond that I can't fathom the clue. It's driving me quackers.
28 of 38  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th April 2013, 14:34
7a "page" is a verb - look more closely at the clue
13d I have a duck including an anagram of "German's" ("diver" is a rather loose definition)
29 of 38  -   Report This Post

bees

17th April 2013, 14:37
Thanks Chrise, The choice of duck is clear when you put it like that. I shall ponder the page.
30 of 38  -   Report This Post