CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

magworth

7th April 2013, 08:29
Syzygy - posted O3.53 !! If all this hoo-ha is keeping you up night, just ignore it and get some sleep! magw
21 of 37  -   Report This Post

magworth

7th April 2013, 08:30
Up ALL night I meant to write. M.
22 of 37  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

7th April 2013, 08:31
It's OK Mag. He lives on the other side of the World in a different time zone. I hope someone has released him from his corner, please ! x
23 of 37  -   Report This Post

rosalind

7th April 2013, 10:28
Syzzie
You are NOT in the doghouse, you are a very valued member of this Forum.
Rx
PS Still not managed ANY of your clues on JE!!
24 of 37  -   Report This Post

magworth

7th April 2013, 10:45
Sorry Syzygy - I didn`t know you lived far away. I hope it`s somewhere warmer than here! Well, get a good night`s sleep anyway. Magw.
25 of 37  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

7th April 2013, 15:58
Yes, Pastille, we do let you have conversations and fun and I very rarely take action on these ‘non crossword’ activities even though I often get requests to delete a particular thread because it has nothing to do with crosswords, most of the time I just leave you to get on with it in peace and harmony. However, I would ask you all to remember that this is first and foremost a Crossword Forum. Perhaps it was precipitate to delete this particular thread but life on the forum has been very peaceful lately and I wanted it to remain that way. And Trevor, if I had a pound for every “bloody Norah” I have heard, then I would be a rich woman today! Syzygy, please come out of the doghouse and thanks for your quick reply to my e-mail.
26 of 37  -   Report This Post

pastille

7th April 2013, 23:48
Oops...sorry Norah.

I just got my dander up, must control my dander.

But, in my defence, I do think Syzygy post explaining his " parsing" for a Joint Effort clue was quite fair...not an excuse for a "debate" that didn't happen.

Any way ..love to all.

The pasty ....why did my name..."pastille" turn into a reference to a nipple tassel?

I blame you TREVOR,,
27 of 37  -   Report This Post

syzygy

8th April 2013, 06:21
Wow ! Thank you all for the support. I didn't intend to to start a controversy. I try to keep a low profile.
My first statement on the deleted thread was “I'm an animal lover too ... “.
Always had a pair of puddy-tats, and over the years a couple of dogs as well.

Perhaps if I had stuck to the original thread it might not have been noticed & there wouldn't have been a problem. However, if a discussion starts to, or is likely to, get off-topic I usually start a new thread & redirect. This one caught the attention of someone by the name of “? ? acolyte” - I don't remember the full name, but not someone who participates in the JE or other threads that I've seen. Possibly a troll who mustered some support to complain.

@Norah - yes, the forum has become much more civil, & thank you for that.
Frequently there are threads that are not crossword-related and members title them as such, as did I. Perhaps we should move those to a site such as Answer Bank which hosts a large number of topic pages.

@magworth & jazzgirl
Thanks for your concern. Yes, different time zone - (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time.
Last week ~ 20°, now back to London weather – bloody miserable, wet and cold.

@rosalind Thank you. Thought my clues were rather tame, except for 26A, the trouble-maker.
The alternative was probably also non-PC: “... I bat for the other team ...”.
Maybe that will give you another hint.

@trevor & pastille Careful now! Some sites bleep certain words. We are still subject to totalitarianism when it comes to language:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

In closing:
http://www.wimp.com/dogdeer/

Everyone happy now?

Cheers.
28 of 37  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

8th April 2013, 08:47
Well said, Syzygy --- and a nice conciliatory clip!
btw your critic appears quite regularly here.
I must say if you live in a country where animal protection is written very, very small you come to miss the more Anglo-Saxon attitude seriously. That doesn't mean old ladies have to inherit their fortune to 100 cats, as happened in my area in my youth (and later abroad by chance I had students who had lodged with her & found cat's hairs in everything...)
Perhaps the really hot subjects belong somewhere else: I've nothing against chat on a X-wd forum, but obviously certain political opinions could disturb the peace completely. And even if that sounds bourgeois & pro-Thought Police, surely "Admin" has to step in somewhere.
As I originally said, "Peace!"
29 of 37  -   Report This Post

busby

8th April 2013, 09:50
I have been following this thread with interest, and also the "missing one". I personally like the fact that people with a common interest can also chat and exchange their opinions. It would be a shame if this forum became a place where only questions and answers concerning crosswords could be posted. I do believe we should be careful as to how we voice opinions so as not to create controversy, but hopefully we can all have our say on many subjects
30 of 37  -   Report This Post