CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

hufflecat

9th April 2013, 15:19
Likewise. If the answer is kennelmaid, then 'Danes' is simply being used as a synonym for 'dogs'. And in context, I think that's just too obvious. Once you've 'guessed' that, the clue reads 'She can help to accommodate dogs', which isn't cryptic, and is totally out of character with all of the rest of the quiz. It feels like there should be a more properly cryptic solution, but what it is I have no idea!
18 of 26  -   Report This Post

winnie

9th April 2013, 17:37
Hi palman, As you say 'one or two' are saying that the answer to 28 is kennelmaid, it follows that alot more people do not think this is correct.
Could you give us a hint on what your answer is please?
19 of 26  -   Report This Post

jul

18th April 2013, 10:29
Hi, Winnie. I have been away hence late reply!
I, too , am unhappy with kennelmaid but have tried to may other things that I threw the quiz paper across the room! Did you have any other thoughts?
20 of 26  -   Report This Post

winnie

18th April 2013, 15:33
Hi jul, Palmans contribution was boar(houn)ds,
boards = accommodate. The only problem there is, that boards is plural and accommodate is singular and I can not find anything in 'houn' to cover 'she can help' At the moment kennelmaid has the edge for me as kennel is a name for a group of hounds, aid could cover help and she is covered by the whole word.
Please answer me cos I've just had to recover my quiz from across the room as well !!!!!!
21 of 26  -   Report This Post

chrisg

18th April 2013, 16:08
It is a bit of a coincidence that a similar clue appeared in the DT crossword dated 6th Dec last year. The clue was "woman helping to accommodate Danes" and the answer was Kennelmaid. I prefer to stick to crosswords and I don't do any quizzes. Look for 13d on the following link

http://bigdave44.com/2012/12/06/dt-27042/
22 of 26  -   Report This Post

winnie

18th April 2013, 16:26
Thank you chrisg - I have settled for kennelmaid now and that has certainly helped.
ps. I didn't throw my quiz across the room - it would have meant getting up to pick it up again!!!! Thanks
23 of 26  -   Report This Post

jul

19th April 2013, 13:53
Hi, Winnie.
As requested I am responding and, like you , think that I'll have to revert to kennelmaid!!
24 of 26  -   Report This Post

jul

19th April 2013, 14:06
Hi, again, Winnie,
I have just looked up boarhound and spent ages reading about Fang in Harry Potter! Have at least learned something! I didn't know that boarhound was an old name for a great dane!
25 of 26  -   Report This Post

haeremai18

19th April 2013, 20:31
So is it Kennelmaid or Boarhounds I wonder? What is the general opinion please??
26 of 26  -   Report This Post