CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dogvoice

28th March 2013, 17:40
Am I being a pedant? A customer (as in 9D estate agent's cutomer) is '
a person who purchases goods or services from another' When you buy a house the seller is the estate agent's customer.....ie the seller pays the bill.
And 19A, answer = you're on!.....when were apostrophied 'words' allowed?? I see them as a convenient joining of 2 words....but not really a word in it's own right for a crossword.
Oh, and everything was better in 1975! Humph.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

rambler

28th March 2013, 18:14
We in the pedants' club would not allow that extra apostrophe.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

28th March 2013, 18:20
19 A. I agree - 'youre on' was ugly and I don't think phrases or words that need apostrophes should be allowed as answers.
9 D. I'm not too bothered about 'customer' -- if I was looking to purchase a house, I'd pop into the estate agent's office. And Chambers does define 'customer' as 'a buyer' so I suppose that the clue is technically correct.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

28th March 2013, 18:25
As a pedant, I feel it essential to ask - is 'apostrophied' a word?
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

rambler

28th March 2013, 18:31
No, I don't think it is, malone, and I was referring to the apostrophe in 'it's' - I don't think we can admit dogvoice to the club
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

28th March 2013, 18:47
That's maybe a bit harsh, rambler - perhaps we could ask dogvoice for an assurance that it won't happen again?
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

rambler

28th March 2013, 18:51
I've been called worse than 'harsh' on the forum, malone, so you're probably right :)
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

dogvoice

28th March 2013, 19:54
Apostrophiated? Or maybe the benign 'words containing an apostrophe'.....?
Minefield I know nowadays - see that council in Devon. Or maybe I'm just raw from not getting the answer?....oh and why the 'Ports of the World' fetish? That and Italian for musical speeds?
My Dad's a Daily Mail crossword guy....maybe I should slip down a gear and stop complaining?
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

28th March 2013, 20:09
Don't switch to the Daily Mail, dogvoice - stick with the Times (the cryptic is much more fun, by the way).
Having checked Chambers, it doesn't seem possible to make a verb from 'apostrophe' (the punctuation mark).
9 of 9  -   Report This Post