CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

winnie

14th April 2013, 22:17
Hi hufflecat, I believe I have the same answer as you and I can't see where 'she can help' fits in. Have you had any break through there please?
278 of 320  -   Report This Post

hufflecat

14th April 2013, 22:26
No, I'm no further ahead than that. I'm willing to be convinced, but it has to work fully as a cryptic clue, not just one part of it being sort of right. I say sort of, because in the clue it's accommodate, not accommodates, so even the 'boards' bit doesn't fully work for me. Or maybe I've just been looking at it for too long! Maybe it is kennelmaid after all...
279 of 320  -   Report This Post

winnie

14th April 2013, 23:00
Thanks hufflecat, like you I would love it to work because I am not happy with kennelmaid - but at the moment kennelmaid has the edge ! The 's' could be there because daneS is plural but that still does not address the 'she can help' part. Think I'm going to stop now and look at it afresh to-morrow. Nite !
280 of 320  -   Report This Post

marmalade

15th April 2013, 13:49
Thanks to all for giving me a push in the right direction. I have seen/been given help for my last two, 17 and 19 but am still struggling so another couple of clues would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
281 of 320  -   Report This Post

chasm

15th April 2013, 15:39
Thank you hufflecat your clues were most helpful, My typing error in putting 71 down twice when I meant to type 71 and 72.
I am also unhappy about my answer to 59.
Please may I have extra clues to 59 Vessels carrying pre-christian sort of animals(7) and to 72 Papers released his story of the dogged detective (7.8)
282 of 320  -   Report This Post

marmalade

15th April 2013, 18:20
Just got 19 to do. Strike from a tiger? I have looked at Being on strike, i.e. not working, and facing a ball in cricket, but no joy. Clue please!
283 of 320  -   Report This Post

hufflecat

15th April 2013, 18:56
marmalade & chasm :

19 is a type of not being at work strike. Not sure how much more of a clue I can give without giving the answer!

59 is a 'container' type clue - an abbreviation for the pre-Christian era inside a word for 'vessels'.

72 - the first word is an anagram of an author's pen name, and the answer is the name of his detective character, the first word being a breed of dog.

Hope that helps!
284 of 320  -   Report This Post

chasm

17th April 2013, 10:26
hufflecoat
Thank you for your help, have now got 59 and am working on 72 and 69
285 of 320  -   Report This Post

winnie

17th April 2013, 21:15
Hi there. Has any one reached a final decision on their choice of answer for number 28 between kennelmaid and palman's boarhounds please. Or even something else ! I'm leaning towards kennelmaid as boarhounds doesnot take into account 'she can help'. Also the clue reads accommodate (singular) and BOAR hounDS is plural. Any body got anything to add please?
286 of 320  -   Report This Post

hufflecat

17th April 2013, 22:16
I can't see how it can be boarhounds, and I've been thinking about the clue for weeks without coming up with anything other than kennelmaid. I still don't like that as an answer, but I can't offer anything else so I think that's going to have to do!
287 of 320  -   Report This Post