CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

redcoral

24th February 2013, 19:23
Most enjoyable & well worth finding. That's what I enjoy about this site that we can get so many interesting snippets as well as solving crosswords!!
Many thanks!
11 of 13  -   Report This Post

rosalind

24th February 2013, 20:28
That's great bullfrog- I love the song and the amazing collection of pictures. Is there anything left of the yard? My father and grandfather built ships and I went to many launches (including one of the incarnations of the Ark Royal) but never a sideways one.
R
12 of 13  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

24th February 2013, 20:41
Hi rosiland,

The site of the yard bwcame first a garage, and now a housing estate, which pays tribute by way of the name - Hayes Mews - and one of the house designs, Sparteolus. Hayes' influence also lived on through the acheivements of his apprentices:
Hayes' commitment was not simply to making money (which he did) but also to spreading his engineering knowledge. In this sense he was also remarkable and quite early he took on apprentices, which he managed to attract from across the country. Sir Frank Markham notes three who went on to distinguished careers after learning the ropes at Hayes: Osborne Reynolds, Professor of Engineering at Manchester University, Sir Frederick Rebbeck, Chairman of Harland and Wolff, who had a hand in the design of the Titanic, and B J Fisher, who became Chief Engineer of the London and South Western Railway.
13 of 13  -   Report This Post