CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

19th February 2013, 19:11
Hi everyone
I still don't "get" 6dn. From jazzy's clue I have an unsettling noise that floorboards might make, and it sounds like a form of water, but surely not a "bay"?

btw Many happy returns, magworth.
23 of 51  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th February 2013, 19:15
hi ChrisE
Definition of CREEK (from Merriam Webster's Dictionary)

chiefly British : a small inlet or bay (narrower and extending farther inland than a cove)
24 of 51  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th February 2013, 19:18
...and it's also the first definition in Chambers's, so hope it's the right answer.
25 of 51  -   Report This Post

chrise

19th February 2013, 19:20
Gosh - that really isn't what I understood by "creek" - I was thinking of a small stream, possibly tidal. I would also have regarded "bays" as being much wider than "coves". Oh well.
Thanks, jazzy.
26 of 51  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

19th February 2013, 19:21
Chris: strangely enough, Ch. also gives "bay" as def.(besides inlet, tidal estuary, small river & brook) -- so it must be a very flexible concept in geography. Funny, I always imagined s'thing smaller, too!
27 of 51  -   Report This Post

rossim

19th February 2013, 19:22
Many happy returns Magworth. xx

BTW Aren't you always the same age as Brucie?
28 of 51  -   Report This Post

magworth

19th February 2013, 19:59
Sadly, yes. But unlike him I can no longer dance ! Mags.
29 of 51  -   Report This Post

raymond

19th February 2013, 20:16

Bet tou can tell better jokes though Mags..! Who cares about dancing anyway. Enjoy your SPECIAL day and Many Happies...:> R
30 of 51  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th February 2013, 12:25
Congratulations Butterfly on the birth of your new granddaughter, Emily. Best wishes. J
31 of 51  -   Report This Post

pipesmoker

21st February 2013, 21:39
Happy Birthday Magworth and Congratulations Butterfly. Sorry I am a couple of days late. (SGH week, so didn't get home until Wednesday).

Crossword was very challenging this week. First sweep came up with absolutely nothing. This is the first time this has ever happened. Eventually, I did manage to get them one by one, but it was not easy.

I hope all are well, and weathering the winter. Spring will soon be here.

Best wishes.

P
32 of 51  -   Report This Post