CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

barista

2nd February 2013, 19:10
Good spot. Might there be a problem with the preamble - it seems to refer us to the second 'meaning' in chambers, which I take to be the second definition, which refers to things seeming to happen on consecutive days. The word you've noted has got to be relevant, but it's relevant to the first definition..? Argh.
11 of 23  -   Report This Post

barista

2nd February 2013, 19:25
I don't think it's an error - the preamble is too precise. I think the answer may well be to highlight the word you've pointed out - if that is highlighted, then it's 'seen', and if it's seen, then today (feb 2) is still exactly the same as feb 1- per defn 2 in Chambers- because it's still the same as the word highlighted which includes all the letters in 24a.

Does that make any sense?!
12 of 23  -   Report This Post

nelson

2nd February 2013, 19:38
Is the 'timely' interruption WINTER?
This doesn't seem to fit with my answer to 24a
13 of 23  -   Report This Post

barista

2nd February 2013, 19:44
That's what I've got, yes.
14 of 23  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd February 2013, 19:49
Barista, I can see all your reasoning, but I just don't feel I've got this puzzle all tidied up neatly and logically.
15 of 23  -   Report This Post

barista

2nd February 2013, 20:10
Me neither! It seems too muddle an explanation.
16 of 23  -   Report This Post

barista

2nd February 2013, 20:13
Either way, I rather enjoyed the fact that 1 a and 1 d were the same as last week's. I almost decided not to do it, thinking that the Indie had messed up, before the different preamble made me think again. V amusing, for me at least.
17 of 23  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd February 2013, 20:17
I think I'm going to highlight 1 Across as it is 'more consistent withthe second meaning.
18 of 23  -   Report This Post

nelson

2nd February 2013, 20:56
What are the two alternatives in the timely interruption WINTER?
19 of 23  -   Report This Post

barista

3rd February 2013, 11:39
The alternatives are implied by the first definition of the thematic phrase in Chambers - either it's (expressly) the end of winter or (implicitly) it isn't.
20 of 23  -   Report This Post