CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

emrach

22nd January 2013, 20:13
Dear Paul So sorry to hear about your dad. I only joined here last year but always thought him very clever, gracious and witty.

I wish you and your family well through these difficult times. Take Care
10 of 30  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

22nd January 2013, 20:13
I am so sorry to hear your sad news, please accept our sincere condolences.
11 of 30  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd January 2013, 20:20
I am so sorry - Francis was a constant pleasure to interact with.

Thank you so much for letting us know - I too had voiced vague questions about hsi absence.
12 of 30  -   Report This Post

francis

22nd January 2013, 20:25
I'm touched that you asked after him. I'm sorry I didn't post earlier. My father was Czech, though he lived the vast part of his life in Enland. I think it's fair to say he had an extraordinary life for various reasons. He spoke several languages with total fluency and was a great cook and very funny. He had reached 85 when he died - which is an incredible fact, given what he had endured in his early years.
13 of 30  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd January 2013, 20:26
I wish I had known him better.
14 of 30  -   Report This Post

rossim

22nd January 2013, 21:20
I have only been visiting this forum for about 10 months but I remember Francis well from the early days. He came over as a good man and I pass my condolences to you and your family.
15 of 30  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

22nd January 2013, 21:42
I'm so sorry to hear the news of your father's passing, Paul. Looking back he was participating in Peer Review and Clueless almost up to the end. It's heartwarming that he derived such obvious pleasure from this site, and rather surprising to discover that English wasn't his first language!
16 of 30  -   Report This Post

rosalind

22nd January 2013, 22:55
I'd like to add my symapthy and respect, Paul. He sounds like a wonderful father to remember. I enjoyed his contributions to our competitions- what a talented man. I can't imagine even trying to write crossword clues in another language.
Thank you so much for telling us about him
R
17 of 30  -   Report This Post

francis

22nd January 2013, 22:57
Thank you for all these quite lovely responses.
18 of 30  -   Report This Post

paul

23rd January 2013, 12:27
Hi Paul - so sorry to hear the news. Your father was impeccably courteous and I'm glad to know this site was able to contribute in its own small way to his enjoyment of his later years. I wish we had known his story earlier - would have loved to talk to him about it. He will be sorely missed by us. I wish you long life. Paul
19 of 30  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Francis