CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

macgee

4th December 2012, 13:48
I've finished unless I've got 24 wrong. Is the definition a bird?
21 of 42  -   Report This Post

livs

4th December 2012, 13:52
Thanks for the input, guys.

I think my 1D is correct, then, if I change the S-part: I now understand the parsing. I had the name of the fruit as the answer, which gave me an 'r' as the second letter of 9A and I had a stonking answer for that one, which was orca - you know, killer whales, take the top & tail off p-orke-r. Whatever Paul's answer is, I already like mine better :-)

If you think all the clues are OK then I guess 24D isn't (r)egret, either.
22 of 42  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th December 2012, 13:52
I've got a bird at 24D macgee, I'm not sure how it's meant to work but I think the actual defn. part may be crest(if the bird dropping is a Queen)
23 of 42  -   Report This Post

livs

4th December 2012, 13:56
Definitely not egret then.

I like ALL my answers better than Paul's, I'll just fill it in randomly and wait for January.
24 of 42  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th December 2012, 13:59
Our posts crossed re 24D livs - think pig meat for 9A
25 of 42  -   Report This Post

livs

4th December 2012, 14:01
Oh. Ah. They're not alive then? Live, but not alive...

Thanks.
26 of 42  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th December 2012, 14:14
Egret/aigrette can mean crest livs
27 of 42  -   Report This Post

pendragon

4th December 2012, 14:23
I've finished now and glad to be rid of it. I found most of the answers "worked" but I agree that I didn't like the "Bird that drops its crest" and I may be wrong on that. It seemed to me that it was the sense of loss that lost its crest. Still, I may have blundered there.
28 of 42  -   Report This Post

livs

4th December 2012, 14:31
Oh. If that was the answer, sorry. I thought I was wrong again. That clue doesn't seem right to me, if that IS the answer. If it isn't, then I'm still lost.
29 of 42  -   Report This Post

macgee

4th December 2012, 14:32
If the definition is 'crest', I can't make sense of the cryptic part. If 'Sense of loss' is 'regret,' then 'crest' could refer to the leading 'r,' which I can kind of make sense of in a tortured syntax sort of way.
30 of 42  -   Report This Post