CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

6th November 2012, 14:49
hi Jolan
I have to fetch a friend from hospital soon (day surgery) so I won't be around at 5pm but will enjoy looking in later in the evening to see all the answers. I hope more of the forum members join in. It would be good to see some "new" faces. J
11 of 28  -   Report This Post

andyc

6th November 2012, 15:27
My word, really struggling today..I only have no.1 so far (and it's the type I don't normally solve!. I'll have to look in later to find out why my thinking is so far adrift today.
12 of 28  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

6th November 2012, 15:47
Back from voting- veeery busy. Only have three so far. You're a tricky one, Jolan.
13 of 28  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

6th November 2012, 16:26
Number 3 is the one in particular that I'm scratching my head over. I am not clear what is the definition part so am completely bamboozled at the moment!
14 of 28  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

6th November 2012, 16:59
Wish I'd had more time to dwell on these. Tried sires, holds, etc. for 3 and just don't see it.
1- ALABAMA
4- MINUTE
5- GORDON BENNETT
15 of 28  -   Report This Post

ab

6th November 2012, 17:02
No 2 is nothing but a random guess

1. State of mind leaves a bold Mafia-man confounded (7) Alabama? (“of mind” out of “a bold mafia man”, confounded gives state)

2. Readily adaptable person taking tea, with English fruit, outside (9) Not confident - versatile?

3. Thinks of old breaks between sons and fathers (5) Weens? (old word for thinks is in clue)

4. Detailed report of a small tailed amphibian associated with the speaker (6) Minute? (sounds like “my newt” and “minute” is detailed)

5. Expressing mild surprise at hired thug capturing Rural Dean with tendency to carry net! (6,7) Gordon Bennett? (Goon +RD (rural dean) + net +Bent (tendency))
16 of 28  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th November 2012, 17:04
Gordon Bennett was a New York newspaper owner, notorious for his eccentric behaviour - apparently one of his tricks was to run through a restaurant, pulling the cloths (and contents) off tables, then paying the bills.
17 of 28  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

6th November 2012, 17:06
Great clues as always.
Here are my suggestions:
1. Alabama- anagram of a bold mafia man less of mind
2. Chameleon- cha as in tea melon around E(nglish)
3. Weens- hidden in clue
4. Minute- sounds like my newt!
5. Gordon Bennett- Goon around RD (rural Dean) Bent (tendency) around net
18 of 28  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

6th November 2012, 17:08
Of course.
19 of 28  -   Report This Post

jolan

6th November 2012, 17:19
Brilliant!
In addition to early birds, Hi to Jazzy and andyc. Well done Ari on 1,4,5 and ab 1,3,4.
Thanks djaw for all correct answers/parsing.

Very inreresting chrise, Chambers just gives "US journalist".

Thanks to you all for having a go. Although no need to give my detailed working(see djaw), I'll include it anyway for completion.

1. (subtractive anag [confounded]) of “a bold mafia man” – “of mind” = ALABAMA
2. tea =CHA; English = E; fruit = MELON; yielding cha + mel(E)on = CHAMELEON = readily adaptive person (fig or adj Chambers dict)
3. “breaks” = it’s “in” there! ween (vt) = to think (archaic – Chambers & OED) = WEENS = thinks. (of old = archaic)
4. (report of = homophonic clue) my newt ‘sounds like’ MINUTE = detaiied (meaning no. 2 in Chambers Dict)
5. hired thus = goon; Rural Dean = RD; goon capturing RD = GORDON. tendency = bent; to carry ‘net’ = ben(net)t. Yielding GORDON BENNETT! = expressing mild surprise (Chambers Dict)
20 of 28  -   Report This Post