CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

6th November 2012, 10:56
Good morning friends. Hope you are all well. Below find this week's offering. Hope they provide a little entertainment. Good solving! J PS. Hi Ari! Trust your clock is now in sync. LOL

I set crossies just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few of my clues? Since they're new, no letters!

Please withhold solutions till 5 pm (GMT) to allow others to have a go.

1. State of mind leaves a bold Mafia-man confounded (7)
2. Readily adaptable person taking tea, with English fruit, outside (9)
3. Thinks of old breaks between sons and fathers (5)
4. Detailed report of a small tailed amphibian associated with the speaker (6)
5. Expressing mild surprise at hired thug capturing Rural Dean with tendency to carry net! (6,7)

1 of 28  -   Report This Post

tony

6th November 2012, 11:24
Good Morning Jolan

Another nice set of clues. I think I've got 3
including the now customary 'Jolan' special.
I am in London this afternoon but will hopefully be back about 6ish.
I'm not sure our friend Ari will be aware of No 5!
2 of 28  -   Report This Post

tony

6th November 2012, 11:27
Ps

I've just checked in Chambers & Ari probably
is aware. For some reason I thought it was a Brit thing.
3 of 28  -   Report This Post

ab

6th November 2012, 11:27
Did the answer not work in the US?
4 of 28  -   Report This Post

jolan

6th November 2012, 11:41
Good Morning Tony. I see you've been Mephistoing already (another post). Yes! When you mentioned Ari, I also started to wonder and was surprised to find the answer may have originated in the US of A. I suppose Ari will make his way to the polling station before logging on here. To day's the day? Or is it tomorrow?

Hi, also, ab.
It'll be OK in the USA. Whether, or not, it's used there will be revealed to us by Ari later.
5 of 28  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th November 2012, 11:45
Good morning, jolan
Looking for a "jolan special" enabled me to solve one of them - the rest require more thought!
6 of 28  -   Report This Post

jolan

6th November 2012, 11:47
Hi Chrise and welcome. I'm off now for a while. Enjoy the challenge. J
7 of 28  -   Report This Post

ab

6th November 2012, 12:14
Hi Jolan. My response was not that the answer wouldn't "work in the US" but that the subject referred to in the answer worked (as in laboured)in the US, so Aristo would catch it..
Apologies for any confusion. Was trying not to give anything away.
AB
8 of 28  -   Report This Post

jolan

6th November 2012, 12:36
ab
Just taking a wee peek. Ta! Very crafty (worked in the USA) lol.
9 of 28  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

6th November 2012, 13:12
Just checking in, with pot of coffee at hand. We changed our clocks a couple of days ago, so I won't be throwing a monkey wrench (spanner) into the gears today. Got 1 right off, and though I have 5 from AB's post (which I did interpret correctly) it was only because I saw the wordplay at once and looked it up. I feel confident in saying that it's no longer used here- and I ain't jes' whistlin' Dixie.
Am indeed off to the polls, and this is a Big One so it will probably be crowded (because of our electoral college one's vote for president hardly matters in MA, since the result here is a foregone conclusion, but there's a hotly contested race that may determine control of the Senate).
10 of 28  -   Report This Post