CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unhelpful

2nd November 2012, 23:02
It's only to be expected that new solvers of the Listener or any other crossword won't always manage it unaided. But the solution is only ever three weeks away, and nobody has such a desperate need of the answers unless winning a dictionary is vital to their existence.

As far as learning goes, a puzzle needn't be 'live' to be worth solving. Practising on a puzzle whose answers are already available is just as useful (and less frustrating) as solving a current one.

Incidentally, more often than not on the Answerbank the person requesting help supplies an email address, so that hints or a discussion can take place in private. That way everyone's happy.
11 of 14  -   Report This Post

leon

3rd November 2012, 12:31
yes you are quite right Mr unhelpful answers are even available for some crosswords the following day so there is no point to this site at all so lets all stop using it forthwith
12 of 14  -   Report This Post

unhelpful

3rd November 2012, 14:33
I can't see why anyone would really object to the sharing of answers to daily, non-prize puzzles. But then again, if it's 'only a crossword', why the impatience to know an answer NOW, when nothing depends on it? Put it down, watch some TV, go shopping, play football, sleep on it, and the answer might come to you when you pick it up again. If not, then admit defeat, fill it in Gielgud-style, throw it away and get on with the rest of your life. Nobody will die because of a few blank squares. The only possible injury is bruised pride.

Begging for answers defeats the self-challenge, which is surely the whole point of attempting a crossword in the first place.
13 of 14  -   Report This Post

rossim

3rd November 2012, 14:50
MrUnhelpful. I don't use the site just to get the correct answers and fill in the squares. I do it so that I can understand how the answer was obtained (and occasionally manage to give explanations to other people too). If you don't enjoy crosswords don't do them.
14 of 14  -   Report This Post