CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bobs mum

26th October 2012, 10:06
Ew er misses, islet make the most sense but still cannot see 1 down. Have got to get going now so i am giving it a rest until later

Thanks all
11 of 21  -   Report This Post

chrisg

26th October 2012, 10:07
1d is maid per my previous post
12 of 21  -   Report This Post

chrise

26th October 2012, 10:30
You could see an ISLET on a lake, but I agree the word order in the clue doesn't seem quite right - by convention the definition should either start or end the clue.
13 of 21  -   Report This Post

big dave

26th October 2012, 15:59
" - by convention the definition should either start or end the clue"

This is an &Lit clue where the wordplay uses up all of the words in the clue and you have to read the whole clue again for the definition. Most of the &Lit clues that I have seen are less than satisfactory, and this is one of them.

By the way, the Friday setter in the telegraph is almost invariably Giovanni (Don Manley) and I have no reason to believe that this is not one of his.
14 of 21  -   Report This Post

chrise

26th October 2012, 16:09
Thanks for that, big dave - I agree that I've seen better "&lits"
15 of 21  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

26th October 2012, 16:28
Hi guys,

Started this off this morning--i have been attempting the Telegraph Cryptic for the best part of 30yrs now,i am a bit bewildered with this weeks compilers -- what are "&lits" please. I love a clever obscure clue and especially the ahhh penny drop moment -- however, these clues seem very obscure to me -- i had to read news in the paper this morning !!!!
16 of 21  -   Report This Post

paul

26th October 2012, 16:32
...I didn't know either!
18 of 21  -   Report This Post

chrise

26th October 2012, 16:32
Hi bobs mum
&lit stands for "and literally" - it's a clue type where the wordplay also provides the definition. Very clever if pulled off, but can (as in the islet example) be a bit weak.
19 of 21  -   Report This Post

bobs mum

26th October 2012, 16:43
Thank you chrise, (again) my mentor and paul. I agree this seems very weak and does not lead one to a very happy conclusion of a clue. Maybe i am a bit of a traditionalist (bah humbug). I am off on hols tomorrow -- no crosswords -- i will think about the "&lit" but i have reservations regarding the concept unless proved otherwise.
20 of 21  -   Report This Post