CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

barista

4th October 2012, 11:29
Each year, my workplace likes to set a cryptic crossword for its clients at Christmas. We've started the setting-process early this year in an attempt to get the best set of clues we can, but have come unstuck on a clue for our last grid entry, US DOLLAR.

The constraint we've set for ourselves is that each clue must contain, however loosely, a reference to Christmas or the law / lawyers (I practice at a set of barristers' Chambers).

My least dreadful suggestion so far has been "CHAMBERS FIGURE TAKING DEBTORS' CASH OVERSEAS" ("Chambers" as US is, I think, acceptable, but "debtors" as A/R (accounts receivable in accounting parlance) was rightly considered beyond the Pale by my co-setter.)

There are some LORDS A-LEAPING in US DOLLAR which I've been toying with, but I can't happily fit the extra "UL" into the clue, nor indeed come up with a definition to go with my LORDS A-LEAPING.

I would be very, very grateful if any of you would offer me ideas, however off the wall!
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

mamya

4th October 2012, 11:46
Please don't laugh,have never tried this...

Barbie in the headless Inn of Yankee court.

Barbie - Doll
Headless Inn of Yankee court- US (B)ar
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

rosalind

4th October 2012, 11:48
My first thought, and I'm working on another (!) is that the left over letters once you abstract LORDS are url, which is an expression in common use (never did know quite what it means, except it's what you type to get a web site)
So on-line Christmas shopping comes to mind.
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

4th October 2012, 12:11
As above, stick around; everything comes back to international finance

As above = U(t) S(upra) - your legal element
stick around everything comes back = DO(LLA)R
international finance = definition
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

les40

4th October 2012, 12:12
Here's one for you Rosalind.

Rosa gets dull trying on ten Christmas jumpers (2,6)
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

rosalind

4th October 2012, 12:12
Lords, I am stupid
arl, sorry.
Going to eat worms.
I am thinking nobles were once a gold currency and also a synonym for Lords

Good luck
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

les40

4th October 2012, 12:16
That's crazy... sorry, got mixed up with the definition part which is US Dollar and made the clue for Lords a leaping aswell.

I need rubbing out and drawing again!

7 of 18  -   Report This Post

rosalind

4th October 2012, 12:24
Dull Rosa is me today, Les!
Still going back to Oct JE over lunch
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

barista

4th October 2012, 12:36
Wow! Thanks for all the ideas so far. (I was thinking that LORDS A-LEAPING could anagrammatise both LORDS and LORDS A, since A-LEAPING and LEAPING both work as anagram indicators. That's why I said I had UL left over - I should have said either UL or ULA.)

Sexual shenanigens with randy Lord .....? Erstwhile partner's not involved!

BUT still I can't fit a blimming definition in!
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

rambler

4th October 2012, 12:46
Suggestion on a different line

Present a cousin's droll arrangement, rejecting coins for note (2,6)
10 of 18  -   Report This Post