CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greenfire

2nd October 2012, 04:44
I'm in the US, and well, like 36 across or 16 down...I get that some have obvious clues or answers are a an anagram of a single word. But these, like others, just have these phrases. And I know 16 down starts with a p, from 15 across, but I can't pull anything together that starts with a P!
9 of 29  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

2nd October 2012, 05:54
Hi, greenfire! I'm English, living in France, have been doing H. for a few years now. This month's I sent off some time ago, so difficult to remember all the answers, but 36a for instance is a straightforward definition (ignore the capital) + simple anagram:think Ireland!Have forgotten 16d unfortunately. The only thing a-f have in common is explained by the title! And in general I agree with Aristo: unlike some famous English puzzles they don't use incredibly recondite words, but are rewarding because of their ingenious play on words often! This one's relatively simple.If anything you have the advantage with Americanisms -- this time e.g. with 9,18 & 31 down. So keep at it: it's worth it!
10 of 29  -   Report This Post

syzygy

2nd October 2012, 07:13
Welcome, Greenfire.

Just another cryptic. Same rules, & sometimes concepts borrowed from British setters, with acknowledgements. If you are familiar with the setter, that should help.

Phrasing might be more wordy. As other puzzlers have mentioned, some Americanisms. But on this side of the pond, we have to contend with British terminology. So, I think it's even.

I'll post my solution at the end of the week. The official one will be with next month's puzzle.

Work on it. Unlike some threads where the enablers chuck out answers like pap (where's the challenge in that?), here you will probably get hints. More fun that way.

But, if you have questions, please ask.

I have over a year of these in Dropbox.
If you're interested, I can post all of them. Couple of gaps when the magazine didn't arrive.

11 of 29  -   Report This Post

ixion

2nd October 2012, 09:20
The defn. part for 16D is quite well concealed Greenpipe, possibly the easiest way to get it is to extend 1D.
12 of 29  -   Report This Post

greenfire

2nd October 2012, 15:12
Thank you all for the guidance. And I definitely don't want to just get the solutionns because I feel if I fill in a few more it will become much clearer. I've picked up a few simpler ones, but 36a is driving me nuts.

I get the blarney stone reference, but I don't if I'm just dense or what. I'm having difficulty seeing where to divide the clues and I may be thinking too deeply. For example, Greedy Kite suggests there is a definition with an anagram, so I've been stuck thinking is the anagram of blarney stone a definition for the second half? or are there 3 parts to the clue?

Just parsing the clues is difficult, wondering if there are usually 3 parts to Maltby's or are there usually just two parts...

Thanks so much for the help, I hate not being able to solve something. I've always been a tinkerer and this is fun!
13 of 29  -   Report This Post

greenfire

2nd October 2012, 15:14
Oh and @syzygy, I was going to ask for the blank sheet to the previous month's but I just found it on the other post. Thanks!
14 of 29  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

2nd October 2012, 15:19
The other way round, greenfire: the answer is a kind of (precious) stone, and it's an anagram of dealer (that's why it says corrupt) + abbreviation for million!OK now?
15 of 29  -   Report This Post

greenfire

2nd October 2012, 15:35
OMG, I burst out laughing...corrupt...see, this is perfect example of just looking past the simple...

Thanks so much but I do have one more question, what gave you the idea for an abbreviation for million? Was it just experience or is there something I'm missing in the clue such as bucks being short for dollars?
16 of 29  -   Report This Post

les40

3rd October 2012, 21:46
Well, I've finished - ish.
I've got everything except 3 bits that are niggling me
3d) Got the first 4 letters but can't find any variant spelling for the last letter to make sense.

28a)Got 1st,2nd,3rd,6th,7th,9th letters and have a word to fit, but it doesn't seem to fit with the link hint which I'm sure is 'hint d' as I have the other 5 hints to correspond with the grid entries i've finished.

21d) Just can't see a word for this at all which thwarts my progress in getting the 5th letter of 28across.

A great puzzle once again but with one question mark. Would you agree that the answer to 34across is in a different tense than the clue word def, should the clue word be 'Flattered'?

Feedback welcome from the finishers
17 of 29  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

3rd October 2012, 22:02
3d- I don't know of a variant, but it's a simple homophone.
28a- As a homophone it's a bit of a stretch, but I guess it works.
21d- I think this is an Americanism- not the answer itself but the word that's formed when you put it in front of docks (in Chambers). Good luck is the definition.
I agree about flattered.
18 of 29  -   Report This Post